[xj-s] bonnet removal (solo)

As noted on the rumor mill / Bernard being very much alive / negative outcomes on taking the bonnet off is too not so :wink:.

It’s a piece of cake and makes working in the engine compartment so much nicer. Taking it off can be done easily solo, putting back on, not so much (doable, but not fun).

Put thick towels along the flanks of the fenders and scuttle, remove the grill, disconnect and completely remove the hood struts, close the bonnet so that it’s just resting on the safety latch, remove the four bolts behind the grill that go into the hinges (if the witness marks aren’t super defined, make your own to ease in alignment on reassembly), grab the dude on both sides, lift and set against the wall, badge side to the floor, with towels on the floor and anywhere else it’s leaning against.

Refit is same procedure, just backwards, with the addition of a helper to place the bonnet on car. Click the safety latch in place as an alignment guide.

Have fun!

Not having a garage with overhead beams, Bernard’s plan was not possible for me. I have taken my bonnet off several times without problems. Jeff Schroder’s plan works great. However, I have cut away several inches of plastic above the front bumper which lets the hood rise to vertical. All I have to do is remove the 4 bolts on the hinges. If you choose this method, have a couple of screwdrivers handy that will fit into the hinge bolt holes. When you remove the first bolt, place a screwdriver shank in the hole. You can use another slightly smaller bolt but the screwdriver gives a nice big handle to pull if something binds. This will keep the hood stable as you remove the other bolt. Same for the other hinge. Now all you have to do is remove your belt buckle and cover your zipper with a good face towel, grab the hood from both sides and lift up. Don’t forget the towels and blankets in place for when you lean it up against a wall. It’s really hard to hold the hood/bonnet while trying to place the padding. Again, not a big problem and does not require superwoman.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention, that I take off the headlight bezels and low beams, as it gives some leeway in extraction and refit, so as not to break any mounting tabs if things shift.