[xj-s] rear alignment puzzle

Went in to get my front end toe straightened out. I had tapped the right front on a 2 inch curb. Sure enough it was
out on the right front wheel and that was easily brought into spec.

However, 6 months ago the rear toe was perfect, straight ahead and to within spec toe to toe. Now both rear wheels
are toed to the left by .4 deg. All I did to the rear was change one of the rubber subcarrier mount bushings. What
could have caused both rear wheels to now point to the left by .4 deg? Their toe in to toe out is still within spec.

I have gone thru my manuals and the CD and the alignment guy also has said the same, there is no toe adjustment at
all for the rear end. For this latest reading the whole carrier would have to be rotated counter clockwise. How is
that possible?–
Ptipon
Modesto/CA, 90 XJS-V12 conv, United States
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

// please trim quoted text to context only

In reply to a message from Ptipon sent Thu 11 Nov 2010:

Probably in replacing one of the four chassis to subframe
mountings of the rear axle cage you have very slightly
chnaged the the cage alignment. More than likely the new
mounting rubber one will be a bit more resistant than the
older ones, so it naturally exerts a different force on the
cage. Probably best to replace all four, or you could try
(if there are any handling symptoms of this slight misalign)
loosening off the bolts a bit all round and giving it a shake!

Greg–
The original message included these comments:

However, 6 months ago the rear toe was perfect, straight ahead and to within spec toe to toe. Now both rear wheels
are toed to the left by .4 deg. All I did to the rear was change one of the rubber subcarrier mount bushings. What
could have caused both rear wheels to now point to the left by .4 deg? Their toe in to toe out is still within spec.

UK spec 1986 XJS V12 HE
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

you should always replace in pairs as a minimum, 2 front, 2 rear
etc. because the repacements will be harder being new and will hold
the frame in a different position.–

all for the rear end. For this latest reading the whole carrier would have to be rotated counter clockwise. How is

850225/679,1E21003,2W2001BW,JNAEY3AC100218,SAJNV4841KC156072
HEIDELBERG HEIGHTS, Australia

Solved the change in alignment of the rear wheels.

After thinking things over for quite a while I realized that in replacing the rear rubber mount on the rear end carrier
that I tightened every thing up while I had the rear wheel jacked-up off of the ground. What this did was pull that
wheel forward. This happens because the trailing arm is extended and when it is extended up or down, it travels in an
arc, always pulling that wheel forward.

Easy fix. I just loosened everything and then put the chassis and the axle (without tire) at normal standing height
location. I picked up more than a qtr of an inch of movement of the rear axle to the rear.–

Ptipon
Modesto/CA, 90 XJS-V12 conv, United States