[xj-s] TPS for 1996 4.0

Is there an interchangeable part from another vehicle, ie Land
Rover Discovery for the TPS for a 1996 xjs 4.0?

Thanks in advance for any info–
Aaron Stein
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

// please trim quoted text to context only

I have found a tps that works! It’s cheap ($10-$40), requires some modification, and works great!

Had to buy and solder the appropriate connector. Bougot the connector from VEMS tuning.

It’s from a late 80s Ford bronco.
The action turns clockwise, the ohm ranges are extremely close, and, again, it works! image image image image

I found a thread that spoke of a mustang tps that worked for the V12s. Did some searching and found the one in the pic above. Google the name and numbers from the box pictured and select the one from O’Reilly Auto Parts. That will show the exact part I bought.

Mods: I lined up the existing Jaguar tps with the new ford one and made an estimate as to where the holes should be drilled. (Look at secondary holes on tps above).

Here are the ohm values for each sensor (from dead rest to full turn not installed on vehicle).

:

From that, I figured out which is power, signal and return (think of return as ground).

Jaguar sensor:

Ford sensor:

And came up with this:

The connector needs to be cut from the Ford tps and replaced with this connector (follow the above picture as to where each wire needs to be):

And that’s all she wrote! It took me a while to come up with this solution. I have read posts about members finding the exact Jaguar sensor being manufactured by a company in Mexico and retailing for $35 USD a piece, but they were only available to part wholesalers. I truly hope this solution helps anyone not supporting the markup from $35 to $500 for a plastic tps sensor.

Just remember, this world can be ugly sometimes. If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem. DON’T BE PART OF THE PROBLEM!

Hope this helps!

1 Like