XJ Series 1 wing badges

Hi, can anyone tell be where the front wing badges are mounted on a series 1? The measurement from the bottom corner towards the front and up to the first corner would do. My car had replacement wings way back and they didn’t come with mounting holes. I’ve sourced a pair of badges, but would like them in the correct place if possible.

Hi Derek
I assume you mean the badges at the bottom of the front wings. They aren’t rectangular but on my car the bottom edge of the badge is 2 inches up from the horizontal seam and the left hand edge (right side badge) is 13/4 inches from the vertical edge of the wing.
Hope that helps’ By the way, has your car got an ID plate behind the rear bumper bar, if so what is on it, VIN, Body number ? Mine had one I can see the rivets but not sure which ID number it showed.

Ian

Thanks Ian, that’ll do nicely.

I don’t have the ID plate you mention. My car is early 1969 model with BW8 transmission.

Hi Derek
Glad it helps, mine is also an early 69 chrome dial, 1L50267BW also with the exiting BW8 transmission which is lazy when cold. The car was originally sold in Italy so maybe that plate was an Italian requirement. I’ll keep looking.

Ian

Well, they are rectangular. A leaning forward rectangle…

There are 2 mounting holes for them at the lower corner of fender near door and sill. Perhaps a repaint has hidden them?

Hard to find. I stocked up on another pair I came across for sale online cheap just in case…as I do whenever I can on hard to find S1 parts.

There is a rubber gasket that goes behind it. It is plastic and mounted on a plastic base with 2 plastic fingers that locate the holes and is pushed into on the lower front fender above the sill.

A 60s car is hard to find. I rarely see them listed anywhere… Good for you.

But they were all mounted at same location until the end in '73.
There are many images online via Google Images, etc.

You should have holes there.Try and feel for them(?)

Here is the pad it sits on:
https://xks.com/i-7083362-jaguar-rubber-pad-leaping-jaguar-badge-bd-38887.html?ref=category:1207189

I could not even find an emblem at XKs or Barratt.
Glad I grabbed an extra pair when I saw them.
Should you see parting out cars online, message them and ask. That’s what I would do.
You’d be surprised what you can get that way.

Page 11
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/catalogue/xj6-ser-1/body/mobile/index.html

Hope this helps.
Best of luck

Guys, that’s a parallelogram. Paul

1 Like

Hahaha…right you are!
Wow, blast from the past that…shows how much I’ve used that since school days.

Hi Demian,
I managed to get a new pair on ebay earlier in the year, but no I couldn’t find a regular supplier selling them any more. Yes I have the rubber gaskets too, thanks. I’ve had the wings off and couldn’t see any sign of the holes on the back, but perhaps I’ll sand back a bit and see what comes up.

1 Like

i used the S3 leaping cat badges on my S1. they are slightly less bulbous and look sleeker, IMHO. i’l have to post a pic.
interested to note, the leaping cats faced toward the rear of the S3. i installed them with the cat leaping toward the front of the car.