XJ Vanden Plas Driver Window Issue

1994 - VIN# SAJKX1746RC707474

Just recently the ability to open the drivers door from the outside handle began to work intermittently.
Now one can only open the door by going through the passenger door and using the interior handle.

Has anyone experienced this issue on their vehicles?

If so, cash the affected part be replaced or does one need to replace the en tire operating assembly?

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve

Steve,

Do an archive search on ‘XJ40 door handle’ (magnifying glass shape top right corner this page)

There were many problems with outside door handles but invariably on the earlier models. Often the fix was slight readjustment of the rods inside the door or even a little lubrication of the inner mechanism but you will need to remove the inner door card to check on yours.
Your car is a very late '94 model and I do not recall anyone specifically reporting door handle problems with late model cars.

Thank you Bryan.

Will give it a go this weekend

I have a late car and the passenger side front door handle was broken when I bought the car. I replaced it.

Lately though, the pass side rear has broken (plastic piece inside door snapped, not the handle itself) and the driver’s side rear is out of adjustment so it no longer opens from the outside. Going to try and get at least one rear door handle fixed this week if I can.
Pain in the ass, these handles.

My car is a 3/1994 MY and I’ve been dealing with the exterior door handles for years. 3 of the 4 had been replaced. Front left (interestingly!) is the only one I haven’t had any problem with. Front right has been broken for a few years now and I’m able to open it from inside crawling through the car like Steve does.
Question: who can melt steel in S.W. FL? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thought my rear driver’s side door was out of adjustment as it wasn’t working but of course when I took the handle off yesterday …snap city.
Luckily I had a spare rear handle so at least I have three working doors for now.
Number four, passenger rear will need a whole new lock assembly unless I can repair the nylon part …

Is this the nylon part to which you refer?
http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1248699156

I wish it was!
The part that’s snapped is a little bit lower down in the door and part of the latch assembly. It’s the part that your bit pushes down on to actuate the latch.

This is the nylon part that has broken in my rear door, anybody have a spare they want to part with?

brokenbit

TIA

Wish I could help you out. After searching for 2 years for this part, I ended up buying the entire lock assembly - just so the door would once again function.

Will keep a look out for this part…

On second thoughts, that MAY NOT be the part I need after all :cry: - I think the part in the photo is a FRONT door latch/lock part not the rear door bit I need - IIRC, the nylon part in the rear door is not removable from the latch mechanism …:frowning_face:

That is true. That is why it took me 2 years to find a working assembly for the rear passenger door

Steve, I wrote a blow-by-blow of doing a 1994MY broken door handle repair in another thread:

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/minor-neglections-attended-to/367801/7