XJ12 coupé 1975 - relays specs

Hi all,

I’m looking for the part numbers for relays located on the rack in the front of a xj12 coupé from 1975. (S2).

On the front right, the cold start relay is supposed to be a lucas 25ra (ref: 33353a).
Can you confirm ?

Beside it, there is the fuel pump relay…
Any idea of the part number ? Same as cold start ? Or 6ra ?

Thanx for help.

Pol.

Hi Poln and welcome.

The fuel pump relay must have a Bosch part number stamp on the metal case.
It also has the schematic.
On the SIII, and must be the same case on the SII, it has no extra diodes so a ordinary 30A SPDT relay will do the job fine.

My Series II experience is nil

However, one caution when using replacement relays.

Jaguar often used “dual 87” relays. The terminal configuration is 30-85-86-87-87.

Most common replacements are 30-85-86-87-87A.

At a quick glance a person might not see the difference. Inadvertently using the wrong type can lead to much head scratching :slight_smile:

The dual 87 relays are easy to find online but are not typically ‘on the shelf’ at the local parts supply store.

Cheers
DD

Thanx for your replies.

I can surely get the numbers stamped on it, but since I’m not sure it’s the original one, I wouldn*t bet on it.

That’s why I’d like someone with the same car (v12 coupé or sedan) to give me the exact Lucas part number.
No doubt for the cold start relay… but still a question about the fuel pump’s…

Cheers.

Just had a look at my diagrams and there is conflicting info…

This is from Roger Bywater AJ6 Engineering, it shows a simple SPST relay:

fed_wiring

This is from the 1987 XJ-S Jaguar manual, it shows a “dual 87” SPDT relay.
From what I understand the second 87 connection powers the 45sec delay timer and the heating elements of the O² sensors.

Thanx for reply.

These diagrams are for XJS from the 80s.
Mine is a XJC from the 70s.
No chance the relays are the same.
Even less chance that I replace the original by a different one.
That.s why I need the original part number :wink:

Here is the diagram for XJ12 S2

Oh, there’s a decent chance that at least of them are the same. Relay technology of the period didn’t change a lot…and Jaguar itself was never in a rush to change anything.

You can look up the original numbers here:

Older Vehicle Information | Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts

In many cases the old original part numbers have been substituted…or the original part discontinued…but some Googling and cross-referencing will usually reveal a present day equivalent

Cheers
DD

I wasn’t referring to any specific diagram or circuit. I was merely offering up a little warning that some relays are dual 87. Just something to watch for with ‘ordinary’ and ‘simple’ relay replacements, that’s all :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Thnk you so much. This is fantastic…
Found it on https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/catalogue/xj12-and-daimler-double-6-ser-2/electrical/mobile/index.html
on page 32…

Unfortunately, I can’t read the ref because of low quality :frowning:

Is it one of these? Does the diagram indicate there are two of either these or an alternative number? Certainly hard to read…
https://www.jagbits.com/product/C42956-OE.html

Unless the relay is proven as the cause of some fault - the stamped number is a good reference when searching for a replacement…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Nope.
These squares are for later versions.
But the information here is that cold start and fuel pump relays re supposed to be the same

Right !
But I’m not sure if the fuel pump one is the original. It might have been replaced by the previous owner…

That is immaterial for the relays…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

If you want to stick to the original specs, it is :wink:
(Only 1800 xj12c built, so I try to keep it as from the factory)

If it’s the same as the photo bellow, I believe it’s the LUCAS 33213 - 6RA
If you are interested, I can look in my pile of spares and see if I have a original one.

That’s very kind of you.
It looks the same and that’s the problem: I also have a lot of parts here that look exactly the same, have exactly the same body, but not the same reference and use.
This one on the pic is a 6RA with 4 pins.
On the xj12 s2, it should be used as a main relay and surely won’t work for cold start which is a 25RA, 5pins, under the reference 33353A.
Question remains for the fuel pump’s.

According to the original diagrams, it should be the same as for cold start… but no strong confirmation yet.

According to your diagram it’s a SPST relay so it must have four contacts: 85 & 86, for the coil and 30 & 87 for the pump, just like the 33213 - 6RA.

Are we talking about a fuel pump relay or a starter relay? Because that photo looks like a starter relay.