XJ12 Hard Starting help!

Hi,

Long time Jag owner, first time V12 owner, first time V12 poster, but long time reader of information from the forums and Kirby Palm’s book.

I’m currently reviving a 1989 XJ12 Sovereign which has been sitting still since about 2011.

I’ve been over all the basics and have been able to get the car running and driving. At this stage there is a leak to address from the top hat seals/pipe (thanks for the forums archives for solving this one) but nothing appears too major.

However, one thing is an issue, when first trying to get it up and running it was very hard to start. i.e. it would sound like it would fire then immediately die.

Suspecting a fuel issue I checked over the pump and swapped out the fuel pump relay, testing with a bit of starting fluid it started up and ran fine. Problem solved so I thought…

Cue a week later, once again very hard to start, would not start without starting fluid, but once running runs fine (not missing or hesitating at all)

What should I look for? Weak spark? CTS not riching the mixture correctly? It’s gotta be a minor issue but a frustrating one!

Karl

'63 Mk2 MOD, '60 Mk2 Auto, '50 Austin A40
Canberra, Australia

Hello.
Have you flushed the fuelsystem. I’m currently waking up my Daimler DoubleSix and when i flushed fuelsystem after few years of standing outside it was quite bad.
First white foam like stuff.
And then when i emptied the full system fuel set in two layers in canister.
After this and new fuel it started.

Thanks Aleksi - I pretty much did the same thing, and went through everything from scratch. All up and running now!