XJ220 on Power Nation

Power Nation is a series of four half-hour gearhead shows I’ve been watching recently. Usually there’s a break in the shows where some goober is visiting some museum or car collector.

This week they were visiting a shop in Nashville that specializes in British cars. And one of the cars in the shop right now is an XJ220. They had the entire drivetrain out of the car and standing separately from the body, and they ran the cameras over both of them while they oohed and ahhed over the car.

BTW, I have long razzed on Jaguar for their decision to drop the planned V12 for the XJ220 in favor of a poxy turbo V6. That, IMHO, is what incited most of the prospective buyers to demand their deposits back. But now Ford has come out with its world-beating supercar with, you guessed it, a turbo V6. Perhaps times have changed?

I concur with regard to the XJ220 sans the V12. The reality of it all is the XJ220 was never designed to be a production car, but more of what Jaguar could do. This was 1984 shortly after the decade long death of British Leyland, The BL Monster.

The BL monster had pretty much kicked all of the British Car companies in the head, and some, unfortunately, the blows were fatal. Most of the other companies like Rover, Austin, Triumph & the like were bought up by foreign auto manufacturers promising to keep making cars, but unfortunately for most of these badges, their assets were sold off. The classic case where the parts are worth more than the whole. It was the '80’s cocaine, big hair and no looking forward -living in the now. YOLO!! (You only Live Once).
The battered and bruised Jaguar was back under their own power and needed to get their pride back. Racing?! Right?! Racing always works. In stepped Tom Walkinshaw, who convinced Jaguar he could win in ETCC in a XJ-S, (in 1983) he did. Later, Tom would do the same with Le Mans. YEAH JAGUAR!!! The crowed goes wild! That isn’t exactly what Chief Designer Jim Randle had in mind. He was thinking F-40 & Porsche 959 kind a stuff.

Jim Randle wanted to produce a road-going supercar, and the XJ220 Project was born. The XJ220 an XJ that goes 220mph, 40 years after the XK120 - seems suiting right?!

The XJ220 to a certain extent, was a frocked Jaguar Group C race car with some extra bits thrown in such as 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering, height adjusting suspension, and active aerodynamics. This is the XJ220 that popped up at the 1988 NEC motor show, and was so widely accepted the concept turned into a production car. Hmmm… Sound like the E-type story. Sadly enough it didn’t turn out like the E-type.

The XJ220 was a concept car. A concept of what Jaguar could do (if they had the money). Money aside the car was still a concept. car was too long (for European roads) and too heavy sporting all that bling to race or hit the 220mph target. So in the wheelie bin goes:

• The V12,
  • 4 wheel steering
  • four wheel drive
  • Height adjustable suspension and
  • Active aero(dynamics).

Jaguar knew the car had to shrink in length, Randle used CAD (Card-board Aided Design) to come up with the final dimensions and shape of the XJ220. The decision to go with a TWR race derived V6 permitted the final design to happen, as well as making it a bit easier to hit that 220mph target. The designers of the XJ220 known as the Saturday Club, didn’t worked for free so the XJ220 be more than just a concept.

At this point in time 90 something Jaguar had succumbed to wounds of British Leyland, and was purchased by Ford. There were only going to be 350 XJ220’s selling for £400,000.00 a copy. Production release timing was piss pore, the long delays, the lack of the V12, and having to give deposits back because Jaguar “didn’t deliver what they promised” 284 copies of the XJ220 were produced.

So many consider the XJ220 as a failure, but it wasn’t. The XJ220 was the fastest production car at that time wiggling the needle at 213mph - not bad for a Concept car never slated for production.

Hmmm…
How long did it take Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini to hit the 200mph barrier. About 10 or 15 years right?
Sounds familiar

Sorry, Yep I agree about the V12 not making it in the XJ220… WoW seriously side tracked.

Until you have owned and driven one of these cars… you will never know the joy of a true modern Jaguar .

You’re right, I have no idea, but I would love absolutely love the opportunity!
I’m quite sure the forced induction V6 from TWR is more than enough to propel the car in a very rapid manner.

Back in the day, I owned a Pontiac Bonneville SSE nice car 3.8 V6 150 BHP. It propelled the car efficiently enough. I sold the Bonneville and purchase a Buick Grand National GNX 300 bhp; and what a CAR!! Thirteen second quarter mile times comfortable to drive; wonderful car, My then wife absolutely hated the car and nagged me to death to sell it. I sold it and purchased my first Jaguar 1988 XJS. There are times that I wish I had the GNX.

My point is this I can see where the V6 would’ve propelled the car more than adequately. It’s about the badge. you see the kitty; and you immediately think V12. It’s quintessential Jaguar bling. we all know the exhaust note of the V12 is pure gearhead music.

This writ is pointless. It is what it is

Remember the spec racing series built around the marque?

Thank you Tom Walkinshaw! Something had to be done with these £400,000.00 Jags’ couldn’t just let them sit around and… I don’t know… be sold or something.

1 Like

It’s funny that this came up now as I’ve been going through a “ton” of Vintage Motorsport magazines that have been in a filing cabinet for 15-25 years and I found the original Jaguar information announcing the Fast Masters races. John Crawford was still a big honcho at Jaguar at the time, must have been just before he was fired when he used a common Australian to describe a certain minority in the fuel supply at a press release.

Bizarro, indeed. Here’s a couple more entries in that vein:

All true but it was the 6 cylinder XK engine which put Jaguar on the map. After an XJS almost anything look good. You might want to consider an XKR. The 220 is frighteningly fast… particularly if you stomp on it starting at about 60mph

I realize the magnificence of XK6 I have 4 and adore them; and in my mind I think XK rivaled anything engine in its class up until this last decade. The V12 is quintessential Jaguar. a proper running Jaguar V12 is silky smooth, and pulls consistent all the way to red line - like a electric motor. Grace, Space and pace. I have a XJR-100 and the pin your head to the seat acceleration is intoxicating; but as much as it pains me to write this, it’s not in Jaguar style it’s more American (thanx Ford).

I would consider a frighteningly fast ride in a 220 a bucket list item for me. The prices are way out of my reach. Hell I just picked up a 72 XJ6 today and I’m tickled pink, as so it the car Pink