Xj4.0 1990 sallon

engine trouble tachometer fail,what problem? many thanks

Usually this fault is caused by a failing Crankshaft Position Sensor, depending on Vin #, either part number DBC2139 or from Vin 629286 DBC11501

(edit) I’m guessing the engine doesn’t start?

If the engine runs it would be something else!

good luck

Larry

is the engine runs fine, thank you

The tachometer is driven directly from the Ignition Amplifier via the negative terminal on the Ignition Coil through a 6.8K Ohm resistor. If the engine is running fine then the Ignition Amplifier and the Coil must be OK.
Consequently the fault must be ‘downstream’ of the Coil - either a connector problem, or the resistor has blown or the tachometer instrument itself may have failed (although that would be the first instance of that I can remember)

Check the White/brown wire from the negative terminal of the coil to that resistor and then the Red/yellow wire from the resistor through its various connectors to the instrument pack itself.

The connectors through which that Red/yellow wire passes are:-

9-way Yellow connector in Engine bay above Coil
24-way Yellow connector on right side ‘A’ post under dash
24-way Black connector behind instrument pack.

BTW, if the engine is running in your photograph, I see that you have a blown bulb somewhere and an ABS fault.

many thanks bryan for xj4.0

Hi Bryan,

i have the same problem.
where is the resitor located on a lhd 3.2 'my92?

thanks

ps, how many watt should a new resitor be

thanks,
this explination helped me. tach works again. there was a wiring problem between the coil and the yellow connector abvove the coil; replaced it with a new wire and a resistor