Xj40 1988 door lock key

have just bought a replacement drivers door lock assembly (new) it came with two keys , the large one in the pic, the other is my original door and ignition key. I was thinking that i would have to get ignition keyed to the new . Upon looking at both keys , they both have an indentation in the middle of the key that are similar and the end of the new key is blank , my thinking is would this be like this to have a key cutter cut the end of the new key from mine to operate the door lock and my ignition .Hopefully someone can make sense of this , as i am now a little confused. Mark

Mark,

Aren’t they two different types of key? The ‘new’ key is of Tibbe design of the type fitted to later cars and quite a different animal to your original. Here is a picture of the Tibbe style key and clearly unless your ignition switch is of the same design it cannot be cut to fit the ignition.

http://www.keys4classics.com/html/read_Tibbe_DIY.html

On second thoughts, your picture of the ‘new’ key doesn’t really look like a Tibbe key so perhaps I’m talking nonsense! :slight_smile:

Well on the bright side Bryan, you were able to decipher the OP’s post, (even though that is’t a tibbe key :rofl:)

Larry and Bryan , def not a tibbe key , have had a '90 and def different , may as well just get the second , spare , cut to the original key and see what happens , it’ll either work or it won’t .Cheers