XJ40 3.2 General Problems

Hi everyone!
Can you inform me about the general problems of the xj40 3.2 litre model?
I have found one that seems to be in good condition for 3.000 euros (I don’t kilometres though). Can you tell me if the price is good and what should I ask the seller about the car?

Fairly bullet proof engines, electrics can be problematic, check for rust .

Are they prone to rust in some specific places?

Check the fenders in front and behind all four wheels. Especially in front of the rear wheels where the sill meets the fender. Check the floors under the carpet, trunk floor, around the front windshield and rear glass. Check the sunroof and the firewall behind the engine. Open all four doors and inspect the inner steel part of the doors around and under the door panels. You can also check the top of the wheel wells in the engine bay. On the left side under the coolant tank, on the right side under the power steering reservoir. Make sure all four exterior door handles work and not broken.

As well as checking all of the areas Joe has pointed out I would also check the radiator support panel, it’s the panel that the radiator sits on across the front of the car. Mud and silt gets trapped under there and it’s out of sight so you don’t usually notice it until it’s very corroded. If the seller will let you I would also remove the plastic mud shields under each front wing and have a good look behind them too, mud collects there on a little shelf at the rear and causes rust. Check the panel along the rear screen where the filler cap is, many xj40’s Ive looked at rust in that area. Good luck I hope it turns out to be a good car.

Casso, checking the radiator support is a great idea. Totally missed. He can also check the whole trunk or boot lid. Top to bottom.

Checking ABS system is a must (hard braking). You may have half-price worth spendings to start with. Also check brake accumulator. Unsure how - have a read:
https://www.xjsbanger.co.uk/jaguar-xjs-brake-accumulator-diagnostics
Engine is bulletproof… unless equipped with catalytic converter and lambda sensor… :wink:

RUST I might add check front sub frame and A arms front and rear…
All electrics as mentioned… door lock solenoid and warnings on dashboard diagnostics–any warnings… blowers (therer are 2 (listed outside at windshield wiper area driver and passenger and insure both are blowing -making fan noise---- easy to hear outside the car…

most electrical issues for many cars is bad grounds (check all ground connections there are several… and then failed cracked from age solder joints but that’s impossible to do on initial inspection,., just insure all electrics work and minus for any from price that do not

yes if engine and trany sound good and shift nice they are usually bullet proof