[xj40] 94 XJ40 High Mounted Stop Lamp

Update …the 3M tape lasted until today, :unamused: sitting in the hot sun finally did it in, one side fell off.

Time for ‘‘The Right Stuff’’

Love doing things twice btw. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Well @Mike_Stone, I stuck and restuck and even double-double taped stuck the housing back to the glass before finally calling it quits and about two weeks ago cracked open the tube of “the right stuff”.
I probably should have done the job while it was still relatively warm but of course I put it off until I couldn’t stand it any longer, which equated to the beginning of November when we were starting to get the occasional overnight frosts.

So I removed the remnants of my wasted tape exercises and swabbed the mating surfaces with alcohol. Applied the right stuff, spread it about and pressed it into place but was surprised it was so low-tack that it wouldn’t stay put without wedging some support under.
I found a folded up brown paper carrier bag to be the perfect “wedge” tool - the fact that it was sitting there in the back seat had nothing to do with my selecting it for the job as I wrestled to keep the black goo-smeared component away from the upholstery.

Because of the temperature outside, I hit the brakes as much as I could over the following 2 weeks, deliberately seeking out traffic snarls so I could sit there in traffic with my foot on the brake, keeping the bulbs on to warm up the mount a bit …

I gave the job a full 2 weeks to set up and this afternoon I finally took a look at the work. Was pleasantly surprised to find the third brake light unit now “on there real good” and in the next couple of days I’ll be removing the brown paper bag support and refitting the back cover …although it is kind of reassuring to see the bulbs light up consistently with the cover off …

Verdict? Use “The Right Stuff” to re-attach if your HSL falls off. Preferably not in the middle of winter …but if you have to, at least you know you can if you let it cure for a couple of weeks!

Thanks Mike!

The factory adhesive of the center stop light let go about 2 years ago on the left side. It was crooked until Monday morning when the whole thing landed on the parcel shelf. I had to use my car so I supported it with some magazines and foam pads. Then later I reattached it with the Right Stuff that Larry recommended and it works great. 3 hours later I plugged in the wire and installed the cover.

1 Like

Right on Joe! Mine is still firmly in place. It’s the way to go. Of course it was @Mike_Stone who deserves the credit for recommending the stuff lol

1 Like

Alright then. Thank you Mike Stone. :+1:t2:

1 Like