XJ40 AJ6 Coolant hose beneath intake manifold

So, I am inspecting for first time an XJ40 1993 …

Observing the design and possible future issues, not much worried me, good design in many areas, however I noted a coolant hose running length of motor direction, coming form the thermostat housing beneath manifold.

Seems a huge mistake as it must get so hot there and it is so difficult to reach?! I could barely touch it with a finger!?

Also, the oil filter?? Placed so high and just beneath intake manifold??
How can it be reached from above or below.
Certainly a scraped knuckle job from below, and even then, what a MESS it would make?!

Thoughts?

Damian

Yep, you’ve found “the bastard hose” ! Just hope you never need to replace it (unless you have the manifold off for other reasons)

The oil filter is accessible from above but a PITA and a sore knuckle generator. When you do change it, make sure you place plenty of old rags below and around it to catch the inevitable oil spillage.

1 Like

Gotcha…thanks!

Yes…peeking at me, it caught my eye and I thought, ah sh*t…

I suppose removing thermostat housing and air pump are necessary?

Well Demian …

If the water rail and the heater return hose (same area) are the only things that are worring you about the car, BUY IT QUICKLY !!!

Believe me those are small potatoes compared to a lot off things that can go wrong with a 24 year old luxury automobile. These are great cars but they do require care and repair. Keep in mind it’s a Jaguar so parts and labor aren’t cheap. However If you’re handy with a wrench and don’t mind getting greasy once in awhile you can get a lot of car for your money.

Yes you can get to the oil filter from underneath the car but it takes a little maneuvering and it’s almost impossible to change it without getting some oil on you. Sadly you can’t get to it from the top without removing some “stuff”. But hey, isn’t that half the fun ?

1 Like

Damian, depending where you live it is possible to remove the oil cooler which give a little more room to manoeuvre, depending on the local temperatures you see during the summer months. An added advantage is that when an oil change is performed you are not contaminating the new oil with old oil in that system. IF you buy the car I would seriously suggest that you modify the sump plug, it’s more a matter of when rather than if the threads are going to divorce themselves from the parent material. I had this happen and had to re-tap the sump in situ not easy but doable, after that I drilled the new plug and tapped it to accept a brass plug, no more worries.

Does the ‘93 have an oil cooler? The’ 94 sure doesn’t and the oil filter isn’t really a problem from underneath, I mean, if you’re changing the oil and filter you don’t wear your cricket whites do you?:yum:

Good point, they may have dropped it, I just know that my '92 had one it was originally from Hong Kong, you don’t wear your whites when working on your Jag??? How uncouth :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all.

@Grooveman: Oh I know…all I have ever owned are Jaguars, for the 50s onward. An expert? nah…whatever that is anyway. However, experience brings the right eye and ear. I’ve never ever had serious problems with mine. Preventative maintenance is my mantra, as mentioned elsewhere.

@Robin: Thank you great info. Damn, oil sump plug threads? Really…Will remember. Thank you. No oil cooler noted on this 1993. Would be helpful if so. Great point.

@Abercanadian, et al.:

Well is sure seemed ridiculous to reach, and again, I have always had Jaguars! I appreciate and know eccentricity.
The oil filter is so high as I recalled? Never seen such a placement before?!

Had to peer through intake manifolds to even see it?!

Can’t recall exactly now, but it sure seemed ridiculous at the time, and although I am a good average height, even beneath I thought it would be a full arm’s reach?! …if at all?! …and necessary to use a oil wrench with extension handle for it!?

Dunno…seems just bizarre to me and made little engineering sense at the very least.

Hi Demian,
The sump plug thread stripping is a very big risk. A previous owner of my car had a new sump provided and fitted at a Jaguar dealership when it stripped during a routine service. Since I bought it I have followed Bryan’s advice and for the last five years I have used a vacuum pump to empty the sump using a pipe down the dipstick tube. I always change the filter from above too. I use a leather belt to loosen it and then twist it off by hand before dropping it into a plastic bag I have placed under the front subframe. Any spilled oil ( there’s always some ! ) can be cleaned from the engine block and subframe area before screwing on the new filter by hand.
Like you, I have also owned and driven a Jaguar of one sort or another most of my life, and maintained and serviced them all myself. Electrial system aside, I think the XJ40 is no more difficult and in a lot of instances easier to work on than other models. The big difference I found is in how often you will have to work on them. I’m on my second XJ40 and I’ve found them to be the most durable and reliable of any Jaguar or Daimler I’ve ever owned.

1 Like

That’s a helluva thing.

Thank you very much…very helpful.

Considering an '88 now…

Best regards