[xj40] exhaust manifold oil leak?

Hello Jag Lovers
I am having a little problem here. This morning I started my jag and a few
minute later a see smoke coming for the hood. So I open it and there was oil
dripping from the exhaust manifold. Do I need to replace the exhaust
manifold gasket or do this sound like a head gasket problem?
If it is the head gasket is that easy to replace and what about the cost of
the gasket needed? I just got it running and now this problem.
The cat has 129000 miles. new fuel pump,new fuel pressure regulator,new
cps,new plugs, new spark plugs
Thanks for your replays in advances
will
1990 xj40
129000_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

In reply to a message from wilford budna sent Sun 20 Apr 2003:

Will,

I doubt it’s an exhaust manifold leak - you usually get smoke from
those, not oil.

Could be a head gasket but the oil would have to run from the front
right corner above the distributor (the only oil feed in the head /
block interface) and UP to get on the exhaust.

Most likely I would have thought is a cam cover gasket leak which
comes from above the exhaust manifold and, because the engine is
tilted to that right side, any leak there will naturally run down
towards the exhaust manifold.

Very easy to fix BUT, make sure you get a genuine OEM cam cover
gasket set with the plug well seals and half-moon seals for the
back end (seal the latter with RTV) and don’t over-tighten the cam
cover bolts. Check the usual sources for price.–
Bryan N ('91 Sovereign)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

Well, this is no less than 14 years later and I have a similar problem with my 4.0L AJ6 1994 XJS with 112,000 miles. I’ve read Bryan’s response to your problem, but I don’t see anything from you in terms of whether you ever did resolve this oil leak and how. .

I hope that Bryan reads this response, as well. In fact, I’m entering a new subject post for the current version of this problem here in both, the XJS and the XJ40 forums. Thanks in advance for any input.
Man, what was I doing 14 years ago?

I had the same problem on my 4 litre.
There are two potential sources. Valve stem seals and oil control rings. The symtomps are different.
Valve stem seals: Puff of smoke after starting which stops
Oil control rings: Smoke from exhaust manifold after engine is fully heated. Possibly combined with oil leaking from the manifold seal. This because unburnt oil is thrown into the exhaust due to the worn oil control rings.

In my case, the compression on the engine was almost perfect, nonetheless the oil control rings had lost their tension completely and just didn’t seal anymore.

The valve stem seals can be replaced with the head on the car. The oil control rings is an engine out procedure. In my case, it was the latter, I had replaced the valve stem seals first though…

Guido

Yes that is possible - but not an easy task unless you have a good air compressor to pressurize each cylinder in turn to hold the valve closed while you remove the valve spring to get at the stem seal - and a suitable spring compression tool is not readily available IIRC for an AJ6 engine.

When I was faced with that problem, I found that the fact that oil had been seeping past the worn stem seals for some time had resulted in the valves being heavily encrusted with burnt-on oil and so removal of the head to do a ‘proper job’ and cleaning up the valves was a better solution. The additional fact that I had to remove the head anyway to replace the original head gasket which was prone to leak oil from the camshaft oil supply hole between head and block made it an easy decision! :slight_smile:

Well, I was under the belief that I had posted here the final outcome with this issue, but I don’t see it, so here it goes.
Before I go on, I should mention that, in regards to my AJ6 engine head’s health, it was a few years back, but only about 3,500 miles ago that it was taken apart, and fully refurbished, including all the seals and along with a porting and polishing job done by a racing shop at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway Mall. So, basically, it’s pretty much like new.

Well, I took it to a shop to check it on the lift while running and actually very little oil got to the exhaust manifold anymore. I drove it back home and I saw no smoke from oil on the exhaust and when I got back home I checked it while running and I no longer saw any oil coming out. Then, it occurred to me to check and verify the oil level and, sure enough, it was about 3/4" higher than the highest mark on the stick, i.e. overfilled. To make a long story short, I have been driving the car around and I have never seen oil coming out anymore. I don’t know whether 3/4" over filled can cause it to spit oil onto the exhaust manifold, but the problem seems resolved. The oil service had been done by a well known and reputable place who also put new brakes and new Continentals the same day. Go figure.

Cheers,

Reinaldo