Xj40 oil pressure switch

Hi guys , Can someone tell me if this switch is the accurate one or the idiot switch which shows good pressure all the time . writing says "PTR 1001/10/

EC " 700 kN/m2 made in uk . thanks

Mark…

Unknown

The sender unit (transmitter) on the left is the so called “idiot light” light that will always read around 40-45psi
as long as the real oil pressure is somewhere above 20 psi (not exactly sure of that number but I think it’s close).

The larger sending unit on the right is the original one on my '89 that I replaced about 4 times until I decided the idiot light wasn’t so bad after all.

No idea what that thing is that you have in the picture.

the thing in the picture is a photo of the other end of the thing in your picture , came off an 88 3.6

Mark …

images

Here’s a picture of the other side. Not sure how you got the hole in the center. But as I said that is the original
transmitter that came with the car.

Jaguar had so much trouble with them that they eventually replaced them with the on/off idiot light sender. Low oil pressure has never been a problem with the 3.6L engine,

It’s not a hole , this was taken off a 3.6 1988 parts car i had a few years ago .

OK Mark, I’ll bite. If it’s not a hole what is it?

As long as yhe subject is here, can someone tell me where ecactly the sender is located on my 89? There is something below the intake manifold on the block but I am not sure if this is it, just above and forward of the oil filter.

Yes that is it - item 11 in this picture

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/jaguar-xj6-parts/engine/sump-and-oil-delivery-systems/oil-filter-3-2-3-6-4-0-litre

Grooveman , no need to bite , i’m not baiting anyone , and i really have no idea what it is .

I recall back in a few years ago someone on this forum discovered a GM replacement sending unit like the one pictured in Grooveman’s post above that was a suitable replacement for the original Jaguar one that provided a variable reading to the gauge. I believe that it was for a Chevrolet S-10 pickup (and probably other Chevrolet cars with an oil pressure gauge), Likely available from NAPA, Rock Auto etc, Does anyone have a part number?