XJ40 respected or not

As a Pom who has adopted NZ as my home for the last 50+ yrs I take exception to the dislike of KIWI wheels :slight_smile:

I repeat, I do not like the 16" Kiwis . . . and this is the Jag LOVERS forum, not the haters! :grin:

I have doubts that it will ever earn respect. The XJ40 is more than old enough to be worlds away from a modern car in design, maintenance, and options, but is also new enough to not fall within the range of cars Jag enthusiasts typically consider a classic despite them now being over 25 years old. The lack of good examples certainly doesn’t help either, which likely has much to do with the poor parts availability. Add in some groundbreaking ideas at the time that didn’t pan out such as mineral oil suspensions and attack belts, and it provides plenty of fodder for the detractors.

With that said, I still love my car. I’ve had it for almost 20 years now. I wish I could drive it more, but it still puts a smile on my face when I do.

As I’m one of the younger Jag enthusiasts and I’m already 70, I think the attitudes will change. In fact they probably already have, as I sure get a lot of compliments on my old bus (Lovely car etc!)
Most of those so-called Jag enthusiasts dug the 50’s cars and if any of them are still kicking, they’re at least in their late 70’s and possibly in their 90’s.
In a few years from now, no-one will have any reference points and all the old jags (even the horrible retro X300’s :crazy_face:) will be admired.

Of course none of this will matter to me as I’ll be dead by then! :laughing:

Well, I am 40 now. I do like the older Jags, would love to have a MK IV, a MK I or MK II, or an E-Type. But good examples are out of reach financial. The series 1, 2 and 3 XJs are very nice cars, too. But to get to the point, I don’t really like the XJ 40. The x300 is a very nice car though. For me it is the best compromise and I have recently bought my second one. Good ones are not that easy to find anymore. Mine is virtually rust free but requires some work as it has had a very unprofessional paintjob done. By the time I am finished it will have cost me more than its market value… Hope to keep it forever. Unless another lorry comes along and kills it like my last one.

Cheers,
Harald

had an '89, no complaints and at the time (around 2000-01) it was the newest in my budget. almost 20 years later, I would opt for a series 3 if I wanted a classic or xj8/x300 if I wanted low mileage and like new. it is neither new enough or old enough to fit either. besides, like the looks more on both ends, older or newer. ask me again in 10 years, it will be old enough then.

Respected or not, I am loving my XJ6. I do appreciate the input, and yes, I think the answer about “appeal” from many cars is the era from which it came. I do love the lines. I think part of my heresy (not being agog over the Series I to III despite appreciating these models) is that these were aging at the time it was to be introduced I was pouring over car magazines, and I watched in great anticipation of its arrival. And despite mine being a '93, it has this 80s vibe that I very much feel akin to. I also love not driving something other people have.