Thank you.
Tom Haggan–
tom haggan
south australia, Australia
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

Hi Tom, when I bought my 1990 XJ6 it was already wearing a set of X300 16
inch alloys. I can’t say for from personal experience but I have certainly
heard from others that locating tyres in the original (metric) size is
difficult and they can be expensive (especially in Australia).

If you do decide to change over to the imperial 16 inch alloys, you could
probably pick up a set of X300 alloys (including tyres) for around AU$1950
or less. Try Prestige Spares in Melbourne at
http://www.prestige-spares.com.au/ , they have a large selection of Jaguar
alloys and they should be able to help. They may also be able to provide you
with 2nd hand metrics or at least point you in the direction of a source for
them.

No affiliation with Prestige Spares, just a satisfied customer.

Good luck.

Paul
1990 XJ6 4.0
Sydney----- Original Message -----
To: xj40@jag-lovers.org
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 10:57 AM
Subject: [xj40] TYRES AND TYRE AVAILABILITY FOR XJ40

Is there anyone with knowledge of the problem on aquiring tyres
for my XJ40 (220/65 R 390 97V) or aquivilant tyre that fits rim
or do I have to buy new rims and tyres.
Thank you.
Tom Haggan

tom haggan
south australia, Australia

In reply to a message from haggan5@ozemail.com.au sent Sun 28 Jul 2002:

Hi Tom,
the metric tyres are indeed very expensive; i’m in the process of
buying some as well; I was quoted 200 to 250 USD
however, I understood that alternatives may be available by using
230/55/v390 (cheaper) or other rims–
patrick goossens
dubai, United Arab Emirates

I replaced my TD metric wheels on my 87 Daimler with a set of
Lenso alloys and Continental tyres. Far cheaper than 4 new
metric tyres. You will probably find that Michelin are now the
only available metrics in OZ for this fit as Dunlop are no longer
available.

Just make sure the alloys will take the load and have the correct
offset and hub size. The tyres do not have to be the top speed
rating, the next one down is still excellent and the Continentals
I have have the correct load rating on the sidewalls which is
important to hold up the 1865kg wieght of the car. The whole
exercise for five wheels and tyres cost me $AUD2800.

cheers

Bill–
The original message included these comments:

Is there anyone with knowledge of the problem on aquiring tyres
for my XJ40 (220/65 R 390 97V) or aquivilant tyre that fits rim

Bill Hatossy

Tom,

Bill already answered the question but still, here’s
my advice:

The metric wheels make nice flowerpots.
You’ll probably be able to replace the metric wheels
with imperial+tyres for the price of one set of metric
tyres (available only Michelin to my knowledge).
If not, then you’ll gain in acquiring the second set
of imperial tyres, at the latest.

Actually, there’s no reason to keep the metric
tyres/wheels.
See if you can get imperial instead.

• Lasse Schauman
    '89 Sove w/ imp.wheels> Is there anyone with knowledge of the problem on

aquiring tyres
for my XJ40 (220/65 R 390 97V) or aquivilant tyre
that fits rim

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Health - Feel better, live better

I have just been through this exercise. I did not like the look
of the imperial wheels available - did not suit the car!
The tyres I bought (expensive but worth it) came from Kevin Kenny
tyres in Wakefield Street Adelaide.
Also try Rick at Metro Tyres Dry Creek (I think)–
PJH 1989 Daimler xj40
Snowtown/South Australia, Australia

Hi

Yep we do these Avons https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/1468/s/220-65vr390-avon-cr39/category/9131/

Do you not need a 225/65VR15 tyre for an XJ40?

Basically you can run any rim and tire that will fit your hubs and not interfere with the fender or brake caliper!

Here are the specifications for the Jaguar XJ40

Wheel size 15x7 or 16x7
Number of bolts 5
Bolt pattern 120.65mm (equals 4.75")
Wheel lug size 1/2" 20
Hub bore 73.9mm
Offset 35mm

1 Like

Was the Pirelli P5 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/225-65x15.html an OE tyre.

i believe it was there has been a big drive from Germany to have this tyre made again

The Pirelli P5 was an OE tyre fitted by Jaguar from new on the XJ40.

My 1992 built 1993 model year (according to the handbook) was available with:

Pirelli P5 225/65 R 15 99V

Pirelli P4000 225/65 ZR 15 (IIRC the load rating was 99)

Dunlop SP Super Sport 100TD 220/65 R 390 97V
(Michelins were also fitted in the same size - but presumably in earlier model years.)

On the 8Jx16 forged Sports lattice wheel:

Pirelli P600 225/55 ZR 16

Dunlop Performa 2000 225/55 ZR 16

The following year the XJ40 moved to 7Jx16 on cars with alloy wheels, replacing the 15" Teardrop and Roulete, and thee Metric Teardrop.

These used a Pirelli tyre in 225/60 16 size.

For a long time only the Pirelli P4000J (and later the Pirelli P4000E) were available in 225/65 15. Pirelli stopped making them - and I had to switch to 16" lattice alloys. It’s always the way, if the P5s had been available from you back then, I may not have changed wheels!

David

Those 16" lattice wheels are quite hard to find. Do you have a technique to clean them? I can reach in the holes in my kiwi wheels with a wash mitt so it makes them relatively painless and easy to clean.

Dust shields help keep the wheels clean, for sure.

My VDP has them and of course I take them for granted but when the tire shop techs saw them they seemed surprised - apparently not very common fitments at all!

1 Like

Larry, how did you get those dust shields?

They came with the car Joe - at first I thought maybe only on the VDP models, but the set of wheels I sent to Haida Gwaii last year had them too -and they were off a Sovereign. …maybe only Canadian models had them fitted as standard? All wheels I’ve owned were 16" BTW

Anyway, they really work, you never get ANY brake dust coming through the wheel even after a long fast drive.

The lattices are difficult to clean - it’s very time consuming to do it right. I don’t have any special technique, just wash them with water and a cloth - though I think some people have found a narrow brush works. They’re forged and anodised rather than painted, so the alloy wheel cleaners can’t be used on them. Now and then a small amount of vaseline should be rubbed into them and does make them brighter. Jaguar recommend it should be done every three months. The good thing about the wheels being forged is that they are quite a bit lighter than the 15" Teardrops, even though they are 8Jx16 rather than 7Jx15.

The dust shields are quite rare in 16" - the 15" ones are far more common . They were available as an accessory from Jaguar in the UK. If I did more miles in my car I think I would have to find a set, though they can be expensive!

P1120631-70 by DB*, on Flickr

Hers’s a picture of my new wheels …

I replaced my 15" “Pepper Pot” wheels with 16" wheels from a 2002 BMW 530i. The tires are Continental 225/60/16.

The BMW wheels had the exact same hub size but the bolt pattern was just a hair different, actual .6mm smaller which is almost small enough to ignore. Many people just bolt them on and have never had a problem. But that .6mm made me just a little nervous. So after a bit of research I discovered something I’ve never heard of before and are really quite ingenious … Wobble Bolts. They can correct up to 2mm of difference. Most come as male bolts but of course because our car has studs for the lug nuts I finally sourced a set of female bolts with the required 60 degree taper that these wheels require.

The offset is just slightly different so the wheels sit out about 1/4" farther.

The 225/60/16’s JUST fit in the front. I actually had to trim just a little of the fender liner plastic so they wouldn’t rub. The rear is no problem. So I can say with certainty that a 225/60/16 is as large a 16" tire that will fit.

If you blow up the picture you can see the very cool Jaguar emblem on the wheel. The round emblems came from China and I had to adapt them to fit the front with a ring cut from PVC pipe. The rear emblems I modified using the original BMW caps.

I’m always amazed by the condition of your XJ40 - fantastic paint and no rust. so clean too!

I like the wheels on it - using BMW wheels really opens up the options on these cars. I’d guess the offset is a little lower than the standard Jaguar wheels since you say they sick out slightly more. The 8Jx16 Lattice have an offset of 33 - almost the same as the Teardrop’s 35. Being wider, they also stick out a bit more in the wheel well.

I also have 225/60 16 tyres (mine are Michelins) - they do fit and don’t rub - but only just! I

Thanks for the compliment Dave …

I decided on the 16" wheels because I wanted to keep the originality while giving the car a bit of a facelift. I’m not a real fan of the big wheel/skinny tire look especially for older cars.

One advantage is that the spokes go all the way out to the edge of these wheels which gives it a larger look while still having the smoother ride of a 16" tire.

I searched forever and just couldn’t find a spoked wheel that I could fall in love with that would fit our car. Some looked too “wagon wheeled” and others looked too “J. C. Whitney”.

The car has held up well over the year, original paint and absolutely no rust (that I know of). It’s my daily driver but I do take care of it and it lives in a garage so that helps a lot. Also here in Dallas the weather is generally kind to cars.

Hi

The Good news for now is that both the earlier tyres are available, on our XJ40 page here. https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/jaguar/xj40.html

we do ship them all over the world.

Currently, low profile tyres in 16" are not generally supported by the classic tyre market, as there will be plenty of other options out there, and limited demand for original equipment tread patterns. However i should be getting a few 16" Cinturato P7 tyres for Porsche and Ferrari 328. but i don’t think you chaps would be interested in spending extra money on a 16" tyre would you?

My XJ40 page will be having some work done to it soon. I hope to make it as factual as possible, so any other detail you know about OE and tyre pressures for the XJ40 will be gratefully accepted

I guess my question would be who would spend almost $1700 on a set of tires for an XJ40?

I don’t think they are appearing at the Pebble Beach Comcours D’elegance just yet.