XJ6 Cold Start Injector replacement equivalent?

You put 12 volts to both connectors and grounded to bracket?

No, + to one pin and - to the other. Not longer than a few seconds.

Do cold start injectors just squirt once, or do they squirt continuously until the engine warms up? Or somewhere in between, squirting occasionally or some such?

I’m more familiar with the V12 where the cold start injectors were fixed by tossing them over the hedge and putting little covers over the holes in the intake manifolds.

There is a heated bimetallic switch on the coolant rail. This opens the cold start injector until it goes open circuit after a few seconds unless it is too warm already. That’s all.

Really? The EFI ECU is not involved at all?

Nope, no ECU involvement. It’s a stand-alone injector.

The injector gets “+” voltage from the starter relay with the key turned to ‘start’

Ground comes from Thermotime Switch which, as mentioned, has a bi-metal switch inside.

Squirt duration is from zero seconds at xxx-coolant temp (70ºC?) to something like 8 seconds in sub-freezing conditions. To prevent flooding in the event of repeated starting attempts the bi-metal switch takes some time to reset. I forget how long exactly.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

70 sounds about right if not high and reset takes a long while. There’s data somewhere here on the forum or the old site.

As you say, David - no spray above +35C. Or 95F.

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Anyways, @quin378 has a different issue.

Indeed, David - but with a suspected CSI; both the actual spraying and the electric function of the TT should be tested…

Frank

Hi Frank. Was it decided the CS50 will work as replacement for the EAC1383 on an '86 XJ6? Or anything else?
Thanks a million!

Premature ‘thanks’, Don - as far as I can see; the CS50 was never actually confirmed as a original CSI
replacement. Others may know - but what is wrong with your CSI set-up…?

Frank

The injector is evidently not firing because after 6 or so attempts it finally will start and idle. Just got the car for a female friend for whom I would like the vehicle to start regularly. A new injector seemed like the best remedy.

Meanwhile tap the bullet wire a dozen times before attempting to start.

Don,
“Evidently” is not necessarily proof that the Cold Start Injector (CSI) has failed. Cold start problems can be caused by other issues, for instance a failed Extra Air Valve (Jaguar also called this the Auxiliary Air Valve). When I experienced cold start problems in one of my XJ6s, I removed the CSI (EAC1383 ) and tested it to determine conclusively whether it worked or not. Sometimes I was able to return an inoperative CSI with a stuck solenoid to proper functioning by soaking it in fuel injector cleaner and/or ultrasonic bath. More often a failed CSI was dead and unfixable. This was particularly true of the parts cars or spare engine that I purchased that sat for a long time unused.

Paul

Thank you for that Paul . Are you aware of a document or discussion about how to test mine thoroughly?

I was reading a writeup about another vehicle cold start injector where there is no alternative and the vehicle wont run without it and a couple of clever fellows had worked about how to repair them, which was pretty involved, but mainly consisted of using wire out of a relay to rewind them

If that was the situation, one needed to measure what resistance they are when operational

Don,
I followed information on SD Faircloth’s website for how to test and rejuvenate failed CSIs. Search the internet for “Jaguar Fuel Injection Service” in Florida and you should find his website. I had several bad spare CSIs from XJ6 parts cars and spare Jaguar engines that I purchased and I had mixed results trying to get them to work again. I sent a few bad CSIs that I was unable to get working again to SD along with a bunch of fuel injectors for servicing but even he was unable to get the CSIs to work again.
I was successful in getting a few stuck CSIs working again by soaking them in fuel injector cleaner and cleaning them in an ultrasonic bath, but most of them were stuck for good. The good ones I installed in my two XJ6s before I sold them, and the rest I sold on eBay. CSIs do show up on eBay from time to time, but make sure the seller has tested them and know that they work otherwise you are likely to get a stuck one.

Paul

Don,
I just searched eBay for the part number (EAC1383) that Jaguar used for the CSI and there are two of them for sale. There may be others for sale on the internet using the Lucas part number (73160) as they were used in a variety of cars.
I have no affiliation with the eBay sellers with open CSI auctions.

Paul

THANK you, Paul! Greatly appreciate!