XJ6 died on a short drive

Frank, is there any way of checking fuel pressure without a gauge? I’m not sure I want to pay for a fuel pressure gauge that will only get sporadic use. I have observed petrol pumping from the hose at the inlet to the fuel rail and while it came out reasonably strongly it didn’t exactly spurt out. The state of the fuel filter, seems to me to indicate that there may be better pressure now that it’s been replaced. I have just been going back over my previous checks and and wiring and I’ve made some improvements in a couple of electrical connections, so after I have drained and rinsed out the fuel tanks I’ll give it another go. I expect I’ll have some hose connections to tighten but thats only to be expected.
Con

There is no way to check the fuel pressure without a pressure gauge, Con…

…some indication may be gleaned if you open the filler caps, run the pump - and listen to fuel returning to the tanks. If fuel is returning, the ‘raw’ pump pressure is higher than the pressure specs of around 36 psi…

Return does not prove that the fuel rail pressure is correct - but if there is no fuel return, it sort of implies that insufficient fuel is delivered…

As new, a pump will deliver 100+ psi, below 60/70 there may be an issue. Below 40psi, the engine is unlikely to run - but you may still get some weak spray from the injectors…

No life in the engine at all?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hi Mark, we can still get several grades of fuel without ethanol. I have 7 carbs and 4 fuel pumps in 3 cars and have no issues over many years of running. The E10 grade includes up to 10% ethanol and we avoid that one. Paul

A $10 gauge would do and not checking might be false economy :slightly_smiling_face:
The wires - add shrink tube, splice, solder, shrink tube, and leave as many inches from the switch as you can. And give the plugs a good clean everywhere you see one. My cables have been PO’d but are still flexible at least.

David

[quote=“davidsxj6, post:64, topic:364922”]
A $10 gauge would do and not checking might be false economy… [/quote]

Fuel pressure is one of the few tests that yields unambiguous ‘yes/no’, David - it is worth doing for that reason alone…:slight_smile:

But $10 for a gauge able to handle the necessary 150 psi - where can you get that…?

Frank

On ebay. It’s a one time deal and you’re supervising the arrangement so it doesn’t have to be any fancy mining equipment. 0-10 bar would work, surely. But 0-16 is not more expensive. I find a few for 10-15$ including shipping…

For my transmission another small gauge did a sweet job. The weak spot in my eyes is how you connect it to the hose. The threads are a bit short for the hose for my liking, but they do.

$15.00 us

Frank,
I just searched for “fuel pressure gauge” on eBay and there were a bunch of them listed for less than $10 US with shipping included.

I have no affiliation with any of the sellers, and don’t necessarily recommend buying one, but sellers from China, Thailand and others countries have them for sale for less than $10 US.

Paul

Glad to hear it, Paul and Robin - 20 years ago, when I needed it, the prices were different…:slight_smile:

It’s more than well worth that price - whatever the manufacturer. Even if they may not meet professional quality - they’ll work DIY…

Frank