XJ6 Engine in E Type

Up high next to the cam cover is how it originally was on your ‘68 too.

That’s interesting Nick, I’ve been working on a friends S1.5 '68 which to my eye looked untouched and the conduit was under the head bolt nuts just as mine was. Jennifer's Jaguar: Jennifer's Jaguar, 68 E Type
Cheers,
LLynn

Good catch. I misread it, thinking we were talking about the spark plug wire bracket and tube being up near the cam cover (not conduit).

1 Like

That was my experience many years ago when I found that the series 3 XJ wouldn’t clear the picture frame and had to use my series 1 pump in lieu. I later acquired the proper pump from a late series 2 which worked very well.
I remember Pete. He was pretty loose with the facts however I do remember his claim about moving the inlet on his series 2 radiator to the left and having measurable results. He went on and on about it for quite some time which I found quite boring so I stopped reading his redundant posts. RIP. Perhaps you could employ the services of a medium and get a definitive answer…

1 Like

What made you think there was cavitation going on, as opposed to just poor pumping from mis-matched parts?

Yes, I remember that extra half inch or more on the S3 XJ shaft, and the deeper press-on pulley. Still have a machined-down pulley if anyone needs one.

Pete did have a bee in his bonnet but I did a temperature scan over the core at various points to get a crude temp map. From memory it ‘sorta’ settled the matter. Not because they were particularly convincing data but because they were the ONLY quantitative data anyone had (has?). An IR camera shot would show a nice picture I bet. Looking forward to meeting you at the AGM with the diff.

Got to nod approvingly at the correct use of the verb and pronoun with the plural noun ‘data’. Refreshing.

1 Like

Whythangyew for switching gears and being, like, so woke and reaching out to me in this space, where there are so many moving parts that groupthink around the meme of a Zeitgeist trope can pivot to existential threats from millennials and gen x.

Wow! I thought Faulkner was deceased!
Phillip

Water pump clearance E type
I have an XJ6 Series 3 engine with XJ6 water pump pulley in a Series 1 E-type. Original clearance to picture frame with 3.8 water pump was 25 mm. The pully can be moved closer to the engine by machining out the inside of the pulley and shortening the protruding pump shaft by hand grinding. The final clearance to the picture frame is 19 mm. Cooling is excellent. Remember to use the 4.2 crankshaft damper.
The original 3.8 engine also has a XJ6 S3 timing cover and water pump with the original double Vee pulley. Again the pump shaft can be shortened but a spacer must used on the crankshaft pulley to line up the double Vee belt.

… probably from all the corrosion behind the impeller peppering the involute.

That’s a lot of work just to have the intake facing the wrong way. Just fit the correct pump C28414 and all will be well.

It makes you wonder why Jaguar fitted a dummy grill’s , and not a real one’s like on the MK1 :thinking: