XJ6 Oil filters

Can anyone tell me the part number , for a down pointing Oil filter , to fit a XJ6 3.4 , car was around 1976 , I know XJ6 Engines have been put in to MK2 Jaguars , 4.2 , what have you done to get over the clearance problem ?

I cant answer that question because I only have parts books up till S2, filter points up or out sideways, not down, covers S2 3.4

however, comments regarding fitting a 4.2 engine to a vehicle with old-style downward pointing filter.

RHD rules out side mount, wont fit, that leaves old style down, or upward.

I believe an aftermarket kit is available that points down, dont know about S3

If upward pointing, an aftermarket shorter filter cannister is needed, and the S2 upward filter block, oil feed pipes, adaptor.

I chose to retain the old-style downward pointing filter (because it cleared, and the upward facing parts are hard to obtain), using the original filter block, but also needing new oil cam feed pipes and oil feed adaptor block

Thanks for that , I do have 2 down pointing filter housings from 240’s , I see there is quite a few different housings , are they all interchangeable ?

How is the rev counter wired up on a XJ ?

This is the Engine I picked up , someone was going to fit it in to a kit car !

Ian,

maybe you’re asking the wrong list here: The setup in your picture is the common XJ series patron-filter setup until the introduction of screw-on filters.- On my 75 4.2 l engine it is exactly the same including the OP sensor sitting on top and the oil feed line. - The parts book shows one third option with an upward pointing filter for cars without oil cooler.

As all XJ blocks are very much the same (in XJs the difference in height between 2.8l and 4.2 l. is visible though) I’d ask the MkII owners or look into the MkII parts book to find out how the oil filter is mounted there.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thanks for that , I do have 240 down pointing filters and a 3.8 up pointing one , best thing to do is whip the XJ filter housing off and see what’s what , and keep a eye out for a xj6 up pointing filter !

just check that either oil filter will physically fit in the location chosen.

3 things

is your car LHD or RHD?..LHD may be able to use side mount with short cannister

so long as oil filter adaptors will bolt on, it will work, but must use the gasket for the vehicle the adaptor block came OFF

engine mount location changed in '68 on the 4.2 blocks, how do you intend to overcome this?

also, the rev counter is impulse driven via the coil. You would need an XJ tach
if you want to retain the old cable driven tach, the camshaft etc must be swapped, info in archives

My first job is to run the engine up on a test bed , not going to install it only to find it needs work .
Have bills to show a full engine rebuild in 1995 , for a restoration project that never happened !
I live in the UK so my steering wheel is on the right side :grimacing:
The engine is XJ 3.4 . Jaguar kindly left the mounting points for the engine mounts in place, so its just a bolt up job !
I am in the process of building a engine stand at the moment , but like I said will get the engine running first , then decide weather to sale it and put the cash to a 3.8 Engine re-build ,
Or start to change things to install it in to the MK2
The rev counter on the 3.4 I have in the car is driven by a generator bolted onto the back of a camshaft , same as the 240 engine that come out , but yes its another part that will need looking at .
Rusty looking oil filter housing point is that of a 240 engine , anyone know if the XJ6 looks the same ?
My MK2 and its Engine !

Ian, your picture of the rusty 240 block reminded me of something to be aware of when thinking of swapping oil filter heads on XK blocks. The blocks are not all drilled the same and the filter head flows are not all the same.
Here is my 120 engine. Notice four oil passage holes, not identical to your 240 block. Some blocks like that 240 even had a plug in one of those holes. Best to study the flow route to be sure a swapped head will give the right flow.

Hi Rob , Jaguar changed the filter housing from a 4 bolt to the 5 bolt quite early in production around 1962 , on all engines fitted to the MK2 , I have 3.8 Engine from a 1964 MK10 that is the same as the rusty 240 mounting point and oil ways, looking at the History of the XK Engine , Jaguar was trying to sort out problems from the start !

Hi Ian,

Your filter housing point looks the same as XJ6. I’m looking at a late Series 3 XJ6 block. The screw-in plug may need to be recessed below the face to avoid interference, depending on the housing. There are quite a few gasket variations depending on the housing.

Simon

Well engine is in the garage now , on a test bed stand I made , have rebuilt a set of 2inch SU carbs for it , have the XJ exhaust manifolds , they are 2 into 1 !
So well on the way to getting it up and running .

It was just a bolt on job Simon , even the oil feed to the cams lined up , just had to take out the pressure sensor , and fit a reducer , few other changes , nice to have boxes of Jag parts about !

where is your OP sender…I obtained a S3 part (alloy block) to adapt the sender from where that top big bolt is

If you look left of the filter your see the sender in the engine block , in a main oil way .
The Sender in the block will be replaced with a mechanical oil pressure gauge , for the Test bed
Where the feed comes out the filter housing for the cams , that’s where the OP sender was on this housing .
If you look at the pic of the old jag engine on a stand , your see 6 brass bolts , you can get a oil feed to a sender from anyone of them !

I put a $30 ebay digital gauge in, and love it…even registers cranking pressure

also primed my engine galleries with oil from a hardware store pressure sprayer, using an idiot light adaptor, worked well

Like the idea of priming the oil ways with oil before cranking :+1:

I had to swap sumps because the sump to oil filter metal pipe was incompatible, maybe you got lucky?.

that meant modifying baffle to allow oil pickup pipe to clear,:unamused:

also removed the water pump pulley and used orginal pulleys so viscous coupler will clear radiator,

I note you have HS8, with AED removed, how do you intend to enrich for starting?

As my engine was drained and with a new oil filter, I added 2 litres via sender hole to filter and
a gallery plug, enough to hopefully backflood the oil pump, bit paranoid on a fully drained motor.

I have heard some motors are especially at risk of bearing damage due to oil drainback, even if too long is taken to do a filter change, but I do not know to what extent Jag XK type motors are subject to this risk

The digital OP shows exactly how long to pump up pressure,at 4-8psi normally on crank.

took ~40sec first time to register from 0, and verifies Idiot light extinguishes at ~5psi

OP is usually 37-42psi off idle, hot idle 14-18psi

I have boxes of 240 Jaguar engine parts , as I was using the 240 filter , I tried the 240 filter to sump pipe , it bolts straight on and marries up very nicely , as you can see by the pic , XJ6 pipe is in my hand 240 boltead to the sump .
I am not going full out to make it fit a MK2 yet , just get it up and running , but it looks to me like the old MK2 water pumps may fit .
As to choke the carbs , you can buy a kit , have been told the e-type set up works , easy way would be to attach a cable on each carb and go from a 2 to 1 like on a bike choke cable ,
When I am ready to put the oil in , I may take the cam covers off , poor around 3 pints of oil over each cam , then turn the engine over with a socket !

Sounds like you went to a lot of trouble to get the oil pipe to fit , I was going to just cut the XJ6 on down so just a inch was left , after all its only a drain back to the sump pipe !

The HS8 manual choke kit is already fitted to mine, and works very well

think the advertised cost from Burlen is pretty steep +200GBP

It took me an arvo to do the pan mods, shortly after that I noticed on a 2.8 block I have elswhere,
could have used the pipe off that!

Yes I see this kit for around £300 , only about £25 in bits !!
You do have to shop about for parts !
So what is your project Tony ?