XJ6 Restomod Project

After completing a concours frame-up restoration of a 1961 Mk2, we’ve embarked on an aggressive restomod of a 1972 XJ6. Progress-to-date and project outline at XJ6.KrissMotors.com.

In addition to a brand new Chevy LS3 engine and electronic 4L65E transmission (essentially the same as the 2010 Corvette and Camaro SS), the differential was upgraded to posi-traction (Powr-Lok), a custom aluminum tank rests in the spare tire hold (dual tanks removed), and a Vintage Air Gen II Compact unit replaces the old A/C. Wiring harness will have a CAN bus architecture, including intelligent control of power windows and doors. Total interior re-do as well.

Use right column topic listing or top menu bar to navigate. Hundreds of photos, CAD drawings, and diagrams.

KRISS MOTORS
(Main site http://krissmotors.com)

Very nice and detailed project with incredible detail and information. With more than 10,000 XJ’s swapped with various SBC drivetrains the XJ was restomod cool before there was such a thing. What would be really cool is if some company like yours would do for the XJ what Danchuck has done for the Tri-5 Chevys of 1955 1956 1956 - they offer all the pieces in a kit to convert any 4 door Tri–5 into a two door convertible. In my mind Jaguar missed the boat by not offering a convertible XJ6/XJ12 (save for the couple of specials) - I also think that the long wheel base chassis is the better for a convertible because it would still aliow for acceptable rear seat legroom (convertibles always lose a bit of rear seat space).

In this forum you will find many members who consider what you have done as “ruining” the car by removing its Jaguar heart. You will probably find a lot more interest from hot rod, resto-mod, and pro touring forums.

1 Like

Not engaging in the dogmatic issues this is just to clarify that this site is not intended to be a shop window for commercials - there are other areas of the jag-lovers comunity reserved for business purposes. Just use these …

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

This post about the XJ6 restomod is solely informational. Nothing for sale, no products offered, no services. We have a team and use a business name for convenience. Hopefully that doesn’t offend anyone.

I know that the resto-mod favors fuel injection, but if I go nuts with mine I think that I will upgrade my standard 350 for GMPP 19301359 - CPP LS3 376CID 533HP Carbureted Crate Engine

• and couple it to a manual transmission!

I really enjoyed your post and links. Very informative and interesting. Hope to see more here. The post was not like many of those of late that are boring, stupid and have lame comments taking up space!

Richard

Speak for yourself! :wink:

Andrew.

For anyone not enjoying this man’s project let’s be honest about how dormant this forum is: there are only 5 or 6 active posters, then a couple more people who occasionally post. Like it or not as we age off our cars will either go to the breakers or on to younger owners with their own ideas - some of which are actually quite cool!

Do with your cars as you wish and don’t worry that others are doing things not to your approval.

As for me, I give kudos to this massive XJ6 remake. Modern drivetrains are almost a miracle - often twice the horsepower along with reliability and great fuel mileage. For those of you who haven’t been for a ride in a modern performance car they are a revelation in civil manners and fun driving. Mixing modern power with classic style just plain makes it fun.

1 Like

Hear, Hear!!

Modern drivetrains are light years better, than even 10 years ago.

I love this restomod!

Very interesting website, lots of great information I wish I had when I started mine (jaguar xjc ls1/t56) it would be a lot easier if I was in America or Australia but Im in the UK

GREAT WORK :+1:t2:

Love the project, but wondering what they did about the very poor Jaguar seats? No mention of what they ended up using…

Personally think the non FI motors are much better looking and can produce just as much power as there computer aided cousins, you could always go a carb LS3 Frankenstein :joy:

very interesting, thanks for posting

your use of rivet & bond perked my interest, as I have used this technique in situations where I consider it will be overall superior to welding, (including a couple of spots in my my 420G)

did a repair on a rare old truck cowl that had been sand-blasted 20 times, and it held up under stress for years, I think a weld would have cracked

I would concur on the aesthetics of a non FI engine, and there’s a real sense of accomplishment about mechanically synchronizing all of the necessary components to produce a smooth running, power generating engine. Being a software engineer by day, I consider making parameter changes to a Engine Management System, well, cheating. Anybody armed with a laptop, a basic understanding of how an engine works, and the the desired outputted numbers should be can tune a modern engine.

I feel tuning a multi-carb engine brings a level oneness between man and machine, and a level of satisfaction that is lost with a computer monitored engines. Mechanically tuning an engine requires all of our senses. Listening to the vacuum as it passes through the hose stuck in the ear, while fiddling with the adjustment screw(s). The hand eye coordination of adjusting the timing with a strobe (aka timing light); Adjusting the idle speed by sound and touch. The endless fiddling of the points to acquire proper dwell. Then the sense of oneness with the engine we so caringly tuned. Busting out the Clear spark plug to ensure the air fuel combustion (color) is what it should be (not that I’ve personally done, but have witnessed - very slick). I feel this is all lost when sitting in the passenger seat adjusting engine parameters via a computer.

The flip side of this coin is the end of the day performance. As much as I love mechanically tuning an engine, I have to concede to technology managed engines. The granular level of adjustment and monitoring done by today’s engine management system, tinkerery tuning just can’t compare. Why? Well Engine management systems constantly monitor and adjust fuel and timing to maintain properly fuel ratio as well as maintain optimal timing. Computer aided engine management systems can make on the fly changes that would require more fiddling on a mechanical systems; such as corrections for elevation changes, and even (within reason of course) for “bad petrol”. The net result, an engine management systems, will always product more power as well as better fuel economy.

Compression and cams, and the adjustments required on a mechanical system can produce the same power of it’s computer aided brethren, However offering up an Engine management system to the same mechanically altered engine, the computer aided system will generate even more power.

Though I’m sure everyone here in the forum is keenly aware of this… You can always count on me to point out the obvious. :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Mark

…sometimes, I need it.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::laughing::grimacing: