XJ6 S1 1970 windscreen seal

Greetings from Sweden!
I am looking for new windscreen (and backlite) rubber seals for my '70 XJ6. It has the early style wide stainless trim, but all seals I can find on the net are for the later narrow stainless trim style found on later XJ6 S1 and S2. Obviously they don’t fit, and I do want to keep the wide style trim. Any hint of where these early style seals can be found?

Try this -

I’m not saying that this is the correct part but they do distinguish between the Series 1 and Series 2.

Maybe if you contact them they will send you a small section of the extrusion they make the seal for you to determine if it’s the correct one.

I have used them and they have proved to be quite helpful.

Good luck.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Many thank’s, I’ll get in touch with them.
Kind regards
John

There has been some discussion of this issue in the Archives–worth a look. There has been some confusion because there seem to be three variants…yours, the later with thinner insert, and later still with thin insert plus attaching clamps at the top. I’m still not clear on this.

You might also search by the part number–BD31153. The later S1 seal is BD38360, a part number that has been replaced by BD48848 and continues into S2. I had a quick look…XKs Unlimited in the US, for example, lists both part numbers (yours costs more, of course :slight_smile:)

Good luck! The wider insert does look nice.

1 Like

Hi,
Thank’s for the info. You are right, there are three versions. Clamps on top was for the US market as far as I know. I’ll search the archives, and I have sent at question to COH Bains, even if they only list the second style.

Jon

Hello again,
Well I have tried COH, SNG Barrat, Britishparts, John Gordon… eBay searches and more - No luck. Any more ideas out there on how to get this early style rubber seal for the XJ6 S1 windscreen?
Would it possibly be the same type of seal as on E-type for example? Length will differ but that can be handled. Any hints would be highly appreciated!

John

Very sorry to hear. One source I looked at (XKs in USA) claimed to sell what you want plus the later–both listed with different (and correct) part numbers and different prices. Not unusual for them to mess it up, though.

No real suggestions, but you might “rule out” the 420G seal. The very early S1 cars did carry over some 420G bits, like air conditioning and power window motors/switches.

1 Like

This may be helpful.

Sometime ago I bought two screen seals fr COH Barnes for my Series 2 car and recently fitted the rear screen…

When I came to fit the stainless trim I realised that for some reason I have the seals for the wider trim. My car has the narrower trim.

I ended up buying 2 more seals from SNG Barratt and when I was there they have both early and late seals listed and allowed me to check my trim would fit correctly.

They told me the early cars had 7/8" (22 mm) trim and the later cars 5/8" (16 mm) trim. My own trim is 5/8" as they described.

So the upshot is that I have 2 new wide trim seals that I have no use for and if they are of any use to anyone here they are available for a nominal sum plus the postage.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I’ll be interested in one seal, assuming the two you have are both for rear? If you have both a rear and front seal I am interested in both. Where are you located and what is your price on these?

John

Hi John,

I have both the front and rear seals.

The rear one has been fitted which is when I found out it was for the wider trim. It is undamaged and is as new.

Since both of the seals are of no use to me I was looking for, say £10 each rather than throw them away and I certainly can’t be bothered with trying to sell them on Ebay.

I am located in the Uk and I guess you are in Sweden si I suspect the shipping may be too expensive.

I will try and find out how much the shipping might be if you’re interested.

I think it might be a good idea for you to measure the width of your trims and I should be able to tell if the seals are suitable.

Dave

Ok’

I just got a rough quote for the delivery to Sweden by UPS and it should be about £30

Dave

Hi again,
Thank you for the info. I’ll be happy to pay 50 for the pair. Do you have
PayPal?

Jon

Jon,

At the moment I have to remove the rear screen from my car to release the seal.

I will need a little time to get round to this, maybe a week or so.

The price I got for delivery to Sweden was just a rough idea on how much it might be. Until I get the seals packed up and weighed I can’t be exact, but should be close.

Yes I can do Paypal.

If that’s ok then you are welcome to email me directly.

Dave.

Hi Dave,
No problem, there is no hurry for me. I’ll be in direct touch

J