XJ6 S3 Bonnet and Boot hinges

Hi Guys, The boot and bonnet hinges in my 1985 XJ6 S3 have completely lost there tension so neither the boot or the bonnet will stay up. Has anybody had these springs re tensioned or do you have to buy new hinges although I’m not sure where you would buy them let alone the cost.
Thanks Guys
Steve
Australia

Steve are you sure the boot springs have lost the tension, on my S11 one of the springs pulled though the anchor point. You can remove the hinge and repair the anchor point.

Stephen,
I don’t know about the boot but is the bonnet supposed to stay up with spring tension?
Mine doesn’t really, however it still stays up nicely because of the friction in the stay/strap/folding thing that keeps it from hitting the bumper. How would you close it if tension was higher?

You could attempt shortening the springs with zip ties for a start, and the springs should be part numbers BBC1256 or JS680 if I’m not mistaken. There’s also a gas strut variety BAC4302 which I know to be available and also expensive; they might or might not interchange…

David

Hi David, Sorry I was mistaken. The boot has hinges that won’t hold the boot up. The bonnet doesn’t seem to open far enough for it to stay up. I need to investigate the bonnet further as it seems that something is stopping it opening to a point that it stays up.
Thanks for your input and sorry for the incorrect information…
Steve

Thanks Rob, I will be removing the hinges this weekend to investigate further.
Thanks for your input.
Regards
Steve

Steve,

For what it’s worth I had the same problem with the boot.

I manged to put an additional spring inside the original one to give it some extra lift.

It worked.

I can’t remember where I got the additional springs from or what they were from as it was nearly twenty years ago and It’s still working.

Dave

Thank You Dave, that sounds like an easy and cheap alternative.
Steve

I “fixed” mine. I removed the little “monkey motion” device at the lf front corner. Bonnett does open a bit further. I like that. It does nudge the bumper. No concern to me. But, it must be propped for safety. On a still day, no real risk, But a breeze might give me a headache if I’m deep in. So, I use the prop at all times.

Carl

If that works, great.
Breezes can and do hurt, sure know that!
The prop is abord ever since.
Opening further might eliminate more headaches as I still manage to hit my head or white clothing onto the hood pins, also it’s not as easy to work on the engine. Is there any reason for not opening at least a bit further? Jag engineering?

Get well soon, David