XJ6 s3 dash turn indicator lamp

The left hand turn dash indicator in my xj6 s3 flashes 2 or 3 times then stops but the actual turning light at the front and rear still works. The right hand indicator works perfectly and does not exhibit this problem. Any ideas what would cause this?

Cheers,
Andrew

I am guessing here but if the bulb is on its way out, maybe it only works until it warms up after a couple of flashes? I’d try changing the bulb first.

David

Thanks. Worth a shot, easy to try.

Andrew,
I have had similar directional signal problems in my Series III XJ6s and XJ12 over the past 19 years or so. I removed and replaced the flasher relay and that always fixed it.

Paul

1 Like

That’s my experience as well, Paul

Cheers
DD

Doug,
I had a strange problem with the directional signals in my 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas after I recently got it running again, with the replacement engine, last month. For some reason, every once in a while both green indicators on the dash would light up while driving. Selecting a left or right turn on the directional signal stalk and then returning it to the center would temporarily fix the problem until it happened again. I removed and replaced the flasher a couple of days ago and so far so good.

I will be driving that car up to Los Angeles tomorrow for the JOCLA JCNA Concours on Sunday, so that 200 mile round trip will be a good exercise of the directional signals, as well as the rest of the car, after it sat for about 3 years awaiting a replacement engine.

Paul

Andrew,

I had the same experience; interestingly, this was a fault that repaired itself - doesn’t happen too often - with increased use and repeated works around the dashboard, steering column etc. Possibly, also a ground issue coincidentally fixed with a new flasher relay or a flasher relay fixed by exercise.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Andrew,

As Paul and Doug suggest, and if changing the bulb doesn’t solve the problem, it must be the Flasher relay.
I have a spare one if you are interested.

Aristides

The Jaguar set-up is somewhat perverse, Andrew…

The stalk switch powers the ‘left’ outside lamps from the flasher relay (light green/blue wire), while the relay also powers both indicator lamps by light green/green. The ‘left’ indicator lamp is grounded through the ‘right’ outside lamps - and duly lights up…

To work properly; inline diodes are used - a failing diode may be the cause. But attending to the bulb itself and the flasher relay as suggested is a fair start…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks for the kind offer , will try the globe first and then get back to you.