XJ6 Series 1 - Front End Bushes - Where to buy?

Hi fellow Jag-Lovers!

The time has come to replace the front end suspension bushes in my '70 XJ6 Series 1. I am keen to use the original specification (metalastic) bushes and I am wondering where the best quality units can be purchased (preferably online)?

I note that SNG Barratt supplies and entire bush kit listed as SU3012 (Part type: standard). Are these the original metalistic parts? Has anyone used them and can verify the quality? They seem a little cheap at first glance.

Sincerely appreciate any advice on where to purchase the genuine article.

Cheers,

Ed

Also interested! I have this slated as a winter job for our ‘72 XJ6. Paul

G’day Ed

Have you tried Prestige Spares or JagDaim? They are both in Melbourne.

I have no association with either of these companies - just a satisfied customer of both.

Kevin
Lithgow AUS
83 XJS “Carmel”

Thanks for your response Paul and Kevin.

I have used both of those guys and have also been happy. In my reading online I have found others who have been concerned about the quality of the bushes provided (not necessarily from the above mentioned) and given the task is quite involved I am trying to ensure I buy products that last. A replacement warranty is great but when it takes a day to remove the parts, I’d prefer to know what is going in is the best it can be.

If I don’t hear from any others, I will report back on the outcome.

Cheers,

Ed

1 Like

Suggest you use the Jaguar part for hard to replace items.
SNG sells both versions usually – there’s a reason the big bush MHC2370AA
costs $39.15 for the Jag part, and the repro is $11.42
I’ve noticed annoying deterioration on the URO bushing components.

The URO coolant hoses work fine, and pricing is very cheap. So cheap, you can afford to change the hoses at your biennial coolant changes for less than the cost of the coolant.

Lou
85 S3
83 S3
67 Mk2

I have used poly bushes on a few Jags, changes feel a lot, much tighter.

If you dont want to risk a change of feel or squeeking, I would use the OEM Metalastic ruuber

that would be especially important for the lower inner control arm bush, which can be very difficult to replace…all the others are not hard to change

Part of the magic of a big Jaguar is the ride, as we know. I have to change all the bushings in the front end of our XJ6 and will be looking for Metalistik equivalents - don’t really want to chance anything else. It’s still pretty smooth and we’ve owned it for 31 years, expect our bushings are original. Paul

As expected the OE just isn’t available so 3rd party vendors have picked up the slack - specifically URO parts. I’ve used these and they’ve worked very well. As a matter of fact I keep a stock of all suspension bushes because the clapped out POS jags that I own ALL need suspension work. You might be able to locate Beck / Arnley or Mevotek bushes. It’s been my experience that URO parts are rebranded (by SNG, XKS & Terry’s Jag)

short version
Resellers that I use

energysuspensionparts.com- poly upgrades
summitracing.com - Poly bushes / upgrades & ignition upgrades / swaybar kits (including rear :slight_smile: )
rockauto.com - OE
terrysjag.com - OE
SNGBarratt.com - OE
motorcarsltd.com - OE / Spares
xks.com - OE
David Manners OE / spares
Jagbits.com OE / spares
Everydayxj.com OE / mostly spares
buyautoparts.com (specifically A/C & steering racks)

This is what I do.
OE bushes / rubber bits - rockauto.com
Anything that connections the IFS / IRS to the chassis I went OE rubber, this includes the swaybar to chassis bushes (endlinks I went poly bushes - XKS.com / summitracing.com). Specifically Euro parts branded bushes

Bushes isolated from the chassis like A-arms, endlinks & especially steering rack I use Poly bushings.
A-arms & rack bushes - whiteline
endlinks - energy suspension (softer poly compound)

Manufacturers
OE rubber bushes I’ve gone with Uro Parts. they are cheap, and for the amount of driving I’ll be doing in my Series I. I doubt I’ll wear them out in my lifetime.
White line for Poly bushes
energy suspension - poly bushes
Prothane is another good source

hope this helps
Mark

I purchased all my parts from rockauto all URO parts.

Rock auto for oe style bushes,
for poly bushes

XKS.com

Here’s my take and experience on bushes.

1. Poly on the steering rack good idea
  2. Poly on the upper and lower control arms? I’m on the fence.
  3. sway bar mounts USE OE style - the poly are too hard and have adverse affects on ride.
  4. I highly recommend any bushes that mount between the suspension and the chassis IFS and IRS mountings, use OE (rubber) style. The poly bushes transmit all of the road noise and vibration to the passengers. Not a pleasant experience.
    Search the archives; I’ve done a previous thread on this topic.

Thanks for the information on bushings. I went with rubber bushings. I wonder if one coated the rubber with say like some elastomeric paint they would last longer hmmm. Something to try.

Cheers
Mlee

I’d rather use silicon to ‘impregnate’ rubber, Mark - but I doubt if any precaution, except protecting them from oil contamination, will extend the life of hard working rubber items…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I guess that’s why we use copper grease so next time it’s easier to take apart Frank anderson.

Thank you everyone for the information. In the end I purchased the bushes from V & A Spiteri in Melbourne (Australia). The parts that came were genuine (marked Jaguar / Landrover) with the exception of the Upper and Lower Ball joints which were an aftermarket (or perhaps OEM) part but I was assured they were the best available. Very expensive in total but having recently finished the job I am delighted with the feel of the front end.

There was quite a bit to learn but I feel I could do the work a great deal faster (and with less damage) next time; I will share this in a separate post shortly.

Cheers,

Ed

I will look forward to any guidance- it’s a job that I must do soon. Paul

I just picked up my bushes from rockauto.com
Cost was less than $50.00 US.