Xj6 series 3 central locking

Trying to change out the Lucas solenoid on the drivers door with a 5 wire aftermarket unit. What are each of the wires off the Lucas unit and how do they connect to the new actuator??? The wiring diagram in the Jag manuals only shows colours for orange/ red and orange green to go to the other solenoids. Have two purples and a black on the Lucas solenoid. What are these please? Thanks in advance.

Martin,
Welcome to Jag-Lovers.
The wiring diagrams for the door lock systems can be found in the Jaguar S57 Electrical Guide. I purchased my hard copy of this document on eBay over 20 years ago and it has been indispensable to me in keeping my Series III XJ6s and XJ12 running.
The early cars through about 1984 had the Lucas solenoid door locks and the later cars used very different motorized door locks made by Kiekert.
For the Lucas door locks, the Trigger Unit in the Drivers door (not a solenoid) has four wires. The Black wire is the ground, the purple wire supplies the power from the 3A fuse # 17 in the Auxiliary Fuse Panel, the Orange-Green wire goes to the Lock Relay in the right side footwell kick panel, and the Orange-Red wire goes to the Unlock Relay in the left side footwell kick panel.
I have no clue about how to connect an aftermarket system to the original Lucas solenoid system, however this has been done before and some members have posted about this. If you search the archives for “door locks” you will likely find posts about what others have done.

Paul

Welcome Martin,

The drivers door (master) solenoid is not actually a solenoid but a switch, referred as Lock Switch at the diagram and it’s different from all the other ones.

It has Power (Brown/Blue), Ground (Black) and the Orange/Red - Orange/Green that go to the other doors and trunk.

I am sorry to inform you though that the aftermarket actuator will not be a direct swap.
It’s required travel it’s greater than the Kiekert solenoid, and the electric pulse is shorter, so the other doors will not work very well.
If you want to go that route, better get the complete remote lock kit with four solenoids (the trunk will work) and you will have the added benefit of remote locking.
You might have to fiddle with the drivers door levers to give the aftermarket solenoid the required travel.
The good news is that the aftermarket solenoids have exactly the same fixtures so they bolt right on the existing brackets.

In other words, if you want a simple solution, find a replacement Kiekert solenoid.

Aristides,
Martin did not mention the model year of his XJ6 in his email, but his profile says he has a 1983 XJ6. If this is true then his car has the earlier Lucas solenoid door locks and not the later Kiekert motorized door locks, as your diagram depicts. I have had good luck with my door locks in all of my XJ6s and my XJ12 and I have no experience with the aftermarket units and what it takes to modify the door locks for an aftermarket component. I also have no experience modifying the earlier solenoid system to the Kiekert motorized system so I can’t offer any advice there.

Paul

1 Like

Don’t forget that the early version of the Lucas system…up till '81 or so…featured central locking from either front door. This means that both front door units operated as both a solenoid and a switch. This system is not shown in the S57 diagrams.

We don’t know if Martin has that system.

After this came the single door Lucas system and then, of course, the Kiekert motorized system.

That depends on the function/capability of your aftermarket unit. Specifically, the function of the five wires. It might work as a replacement for an early type Lucas unit.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Martin,

If you have a system similar to the one in the pic, I can send you the wires that need to be combined to lock/unlock the door locks. The red wire (in the remote harness) connects to a constant “+” while the “-” connects to a ground. The other wires are connected together (into “one” wire) for locking;the remaining wires are connected for unlocking. Therefore, you will have 4 wires (from all the wires in the loom): red, black, 2 bundle of wires for lock and unlock. The 2 “bundles” are connected directly to the driver’s solenoid or at the relay(s) Paul N. mentioned. I can send the wires (from the wiring loom) that need to be connected together (bundled) if needed.

This may sound like a major job, but it is not. I have added remote locking to all of my older Jaguars, MB, Rolls Royces and Bentleys.

Richard

s-l400-2

martin,
as mentioned by others you’ll have a challenge making the after market type work, i sell & fit remote door lock units adapted exclusive to jaguars with a central locking switch, i’ve tried with the after market type & found a problem in retro fitting 'cause the system you have which is an early S3 unit has 2 relays - one for lock & other for unlock, each relay is locate opposite sides if the car kick panels, you need to post the schematic of the after market unit you have as there is up to 4 ways to wire the system to match the existing system, …the alternative.>> eliminate the existing relay system & replace the wiring directly to the appropriate solenoid wiring for lock/unlock according to the after market schematic as a neg earth system and one more trick you may have to join particular 2 wires to make it compatible to the jag system as i found out pre wiring units for older systems for jaguar that i supply…i need a coffee now… :coffee:

Adding to other inputs, Martin; the critical point is whether you indeed have the Lucas solenoid, which would be standard on the 83 - unless a PO has ‘upgraded’…

Your 5-wire aftermarket unit is a likely a ‘Kiekert’ motor/control unit ‘clone’ - and is not a direct replacement for the Lucas solenoid control unit.

In principle; all aftermarket door lock systems are based on motors - and generally set up for remote lock/unlock. This combines a control unit with a motor that can lock and unlock the driver’s door. In the original set-up, Lucas solenoids and Kiekert motors, there were no motor in the driver’s door - only the control unit.

In the ‘motor’ set-up; orange/red and orange/green to the motors; the control unit switches polarity to lock/unlock. In the (Lucas) ‘solenoid’ set-up the control unit powers one wire at a time to operate relays to power the solenoids - one ‘lock’ and on ‘unlock’ relay, as Paul explains…

With the motor system; the control unit powers the motors directly - the solenoid system uses capacitor discharge, to feeble to operate the motors, hence the relays. In both system there is a brief pulse from the control unit, only long enough to lock or unlock. (Important, as there is no power cut-off at the solenoid/motors).

The main problem with aftermarket units is that the wire colours do not match the Jaguar colour schemes - you need to identify which wire does what on your unit. In the Jaguar set-up the orange/green and orange/red goes to the door units from the relays (solenoids) - and from the control unit (motors)

Your options; it is possible to use the ‘Kiekert’ control unit with the solenoid set-up - using blocking diodes. It requires some nous…

If your unit was a direct fit; get 4 more of the same to replace the door and boot solenoids. As Tom says, the main problem is to identify which wires does what on the aftermarket unit - or source the original Kiekerts. If the aftermarket units are not direct fits; you can drill new holes in the doors’ mounting brackets - to fit the mounting screws on the units…

As far as I know there are no aftermarket solenoid control units - but you may be able to find used units…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)