XJ6 SII, Triple carburetors conversion

I love the white wheels!

From memory, I sold it around 2003 and it went to Masterton. Car originally had steel wheels, I bought a set of manky chrome wires, had them sandblasted and powdercoated. I think I paid $200-250 for the wheels, plus a 10hr drive to Dargaville to collect them, powdercoating and blasting was maybe another couple of hundred.Can’t recall whether hubs were included, front ones maybe, but wheels were from an E Type so I probably bought new rear ones.Certainly lifted the car, in my opinion. Chrome wires can be a bit OTT sometimes. Robin, did you ever get the Hunter going properly with the Dellortos? Tuning those and Webers can be a very expensive process, and requires real knowledge and skill. I know we did these things back then, but I really do wonder whether the cars actually went better, or it was all in the mind. That said, I do recall an Austin A40 Farina fitted with a supercharged 1600 crossflow Ford engine, and a 100E Prefect with a hot 1340 that both went spectacularly well, to name just two.

Passable, I think I just threw them on and drove it. :yawning_face:

So I leave the door open on this thread, go away for a few days and look what happens :)!

Anyway, so back to my question, what about using HIF7s carbs on a triple conversion? Any experience?

Thanks.

Never heard of it done, but should be fine. Two HD8 already flow more than the 4.2 can swallow, so 3 isn’t useful in taking care of a deficit. If I was doing mine again though I would be going for an injected variant, either using an S3 manifold (cheap and available) of throttle bodies (expensive and looks boss).

2 Likes

Where can one get FI throttle bodies?

Jeff H

Thank you! Great read. A future project.

Jeff H