XJ6 SIII climate control questions/issues

David,
The most challenging part was the removal and replacement of the failed mode selector microswitches. That required additional tools, contortions, and a lot of colorful language. :wink:
I was very glad that the heater cores and evaporators were leak free as disassembly and removal of most of the dash would have been required to remove and replace them. I have done that with all three of my Series III XJ6 parts cars as I stripped them but I never had to worry about putting them back together again. Keeping track of what goes where and in what order is the hard part. I take lots of pictures and detailed notes during removal but that rarely is enough when it is time to put things back together again. I have a policy that whenever I take things apart and put them back together again, if I end up with any extra parts I have to eat them. :slight_smile:

Paul

1 Like

Gary Crosby (Jag-Aire) is awesome! He just checked several amps for me! I could not have asked for better service. He is a very honest man who gives so much to the list with his knowledge of the climate system!

Richard

Richard,
What were the results of Gary’s tests of your A/C amplifiers? How many did he test? How many were OEM units? If some were aftermarket units, which ones were they? How many units tested good and how many units tested bad?

Paul

First you need to asses what works and what doesn’t, Randy - there is no point in bending metal before you know what is wrong…

…‘my AC does not work’ is somewhat sketchy. In-car tests are simple; does the fan speeds react to the function control? Does the servo respond when the temp control is changed from ‘65’ to ‘85’? Is the defrost vents closed in all positions except in ‘Def’ - and only defrost vents open in ‘def’? Are the center vents open or closed - they should be open in ‘cold’ and closed in heat. Does the compressor engage whenever the function control is out of ‘off’. However, in cold weather the compressor will not engage…

The ‘refrigeration’ is a separate function requiring it’s own testing procedure. Any automotive AC shop can handle that - and unless you have the necessary skill and tools, it’s best handled by them. A of failure is that it does not produce cold air at any time, even with the compressor running.

But as David says; the system otherwise functions without ‘refrigeration’. I suggest yo run the listed ‘in-car tests’ - and tell us what gives. While not failsafe; the usual AC problems are easily fixed. For all we know; the only problem may be a failed AC amplifier. And Gary can solve that with a replacement…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)