XJ6 Tool boxes , but what years?

Hi , just picked up 2 XJ6 Tool boxes , can some one help I.D them , one has mm spanners and the other imperial !
Need to know what size spanners should be in the boxes as some are missing , and a few are the same size in each box !
Thanks for any help :+1:

Hi Ian, I can tell you that I think the one on top in the pics is XJS or XJ12 because it has the V12 spark plug tool in the bottom slot.
~Mike

1 Like

Thank you Mike , that’s a start :slightly_smiling_face:

Ian,
The Jaguar Series III XJ6, XJ12, and XJ-S Parts Catalogues have illustrations of those optional tool boxes and part numbers for each tool in the tool boxes. If you don’t have those Parts Catalogues it is likely that the Jaguarclassicparts.com website has the illustrations and parts numbers for the tools.

Paul

Thank you Paul , looks like I should have
6-7mm
8-10mm
9-11mm
13-15mm
17-19mm
1/2-9/16
Bulbs 12v 4w , 7.5 w 21w , fuses 3amp 20amp 35amp

Just had a look to see what I have , don’t think one set is a XJS , well they are not sets , will have to try and make them up as sets , what I have are
chrome Jaguar spanner 10-8mm
rest do not have jaguar on them !
7/16 - 3/8 x2
9/16 - 1/2 x2
3/4 - 5/8 x 2
9 - 11 mm
13 - 15 mm x2
17 - 19 mm

Bit of a mixture there :thinking:

Ian,

I’m fairly sure that “our” XJs only have imperial nuts and bolts (except for the metric brake fittings on younger cars, but owners were never supposed to touch these) and hence need only imperial spanners. I’ve come across 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16 and 3/4.

The metric sizes came with XJ40 cars, I think.

If you’re not out for a concours car, you might be well advised to put some decent tools into this nice case. I happen to have the original tool set and used it initially, but found that the spanners are pretty much worse than any crap you’d buy by 5.99 a set at Home Depot … So you can just as well wrap the original tools in oily paper, store them for the good feeling and be sure to have some tools you can rely on.

Of course, we only keep our tool sets ready as insurance, because you never need what you’ve actually got:-)

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Thanks for that Jochen
but , I got the mm sizes off the parts catalogue page Paul linked in .
The mm sizes are early XJS , later XJS cars had a diffrent tool box !
I am guessing the 1/2 - 9/16 is for the brake pipes !

I do not have a XJ , so will not be using them , just want them to be right when I move them on .

Looking at diffrent tool boxes , I noticed most do not have the JAGUAR sticker on them , found the part number , C35732 , same sticker that is on the cam covers , just got 2 off e-bay ÂŁ5.20 !

Daimler is C35733 .

s-l16001 (7)

s-l5004

Can someone tell me what this is :thinking:
and the Hex Key size ?

The item circled is a manual crank for the sun-roof, Ian - vital with roof malfunctions. Usually lost - (or omitted on non-sunroof cars?).

Any hex is likely one 5 mm for AFM bypass (mixture)adjustment. And one 5,5 mm for idle screw adjustment…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thank you Frank , will try and fins 1 or 2

Frank beat me to it! Yup, sun roof manual operation. I have one! somewhere in the boot of my car!!!

Tools aboard my cars. best insurance to not have to use them!!

Carl

Ian,

The part number for that Sunroof Handle is BAC2518. What hex key?

I have a few of these tool boxes some for XJ6 and others for the V12 cars (XJ12, XJ-S).

Paul

Thanks Paul , you can see the hex (allan) key down the left hand side of the tool box , pic with the sunroof handle , I have a space for one in 1 tool box , not the other !

Ian,
There is no hex (Allen) tool in the tool box. If you are asking about the tool that is circled in blue in the first attached picture, that is a “Wrench” , Jaguar part number C26864.

The second picture shows two of these wrenches, positioned side by side, after I removed them from my tool boxes. According to my Jaguar Series III XJ6 Parts Catalogue, this tool was used only on the Vanden Plas premium trim package cars.

I found that owning the Jaguar Parts Catalogues for my five different Jaguar models has helped me greatly in solving many mysteries like this about my cars. Although two new mysteries were created. What is this wrench used for? What makes this wrench needed on the Vanden Plas models but not the base XJ6 models?

Paul

Well I never , thanks for that Paul , looks like a Hex key in the tool box :thinking:

Just found a new one , It’s to remove the Hub caps !

Jaguar Hub Cap Tool - C26864

S-Type, 420, E-Type Series II & III.

The Lucas M100 Starter Motor from a Series 3 XJ6 that I have fitted has 15mm bolt heads and metric threads

Gave the tool boxes a bit of a clean up , replaced the foam in the lid of one as it was not holding tools in place , badges come today so stuck them on , just need to get 2 spanners , 2 sunroof cranks and a hub cap leaver , not allen key :thinking: 20191218_152859