XJ6C conversion to a 5 speed

I am in the USA. Have an XJ6C. I am looking for 5 speed conversions. Who here has done this and what did you use? Has anyone seen the kit from Xcessive Manufacturing that makes use of an adapter to the Nissan 5 sp, and has a clutch pedal kit. Here are the parts Jaguar (xcessivemanufacturing.com). Any recommendations on where to get a driveshaft shortened in the US?

Chris

1 Like

If you want to use a Tremec TKX 5 speed this company makes a bellhousing.

Vintage Jaguar in Idaho sold conversion kits, but just now checked their website and the kits are no longer listed. May still want to give them a call. They sold everything needed.

Moss Motors also sells a compete kit using the Tremec TKO if I recall.

Good luck.
Jeff H.

Chris,

just as a matter of simplicity I’d always go for the solution offered by Jaguar originally.

For the coupé there is a MOD gearbox, clutch, drive shaft etc. The next best choice is the LT77 5sp box offered in Europe for SIII cars. Both have a good reputation and will offer all your driving needs will require, unless you’re set to race the car. They are all drop-in solutions and will add the bonus of an increase in value of your car. Used parts and consumables such as clutch cylinders or clutch kits are available.

You might rather invest into a vacation in the UK and source all parts there, put them into a box and have them shipped - I bet you can still beat the price tag of a full Tremec kit.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

2 Likes

I like that idea, but the parts are rarely available.

EDIT

Will an XJ6 S3 gearbox work on an S2? Any leads for where to source (beyond Ebay)? Was this a good gearbox? I’m building a cruiser, not a track car.

I will follow up with Dellow. The Moss Motors kit is $8,300, so that’s a hard no.

Thanks for that link Chris, nice bits in there… and I would prefer a 5speed box over a 4 speed behind the xk motor any day.

Chris,

not speaking from own experience, but I can’t see a reason why it wouldn’t. Many cars were sold with manual boxes in Europe, so from pedal boxes to bellhousings, starters and everything else is available … and fits.

The Jaguar 5sp gearbox certainly is no top notch design - in fact it is a reinforced version of a BL gearbox used in other cars of the period as well. That being said, in terms of quality it is probably a better product compared to its period competitors than the BW66 auto box. I have never heard anyone speak bad about it. The shifts aren’t as crisp as in a BMW Getrag and the ways a bit longer, but nothing that should deter you.

Good luck

Jochen

Second Reply - your post inspired me to look one last time on eBay (UK). And I struck gold. Found an XJ S3 gearbox, all complete. Looks like mounting will be a direct swap for my BW65. Thank you for the push.

1 Like

Wow - that was quick!

Maybe you can source the ancillary parts right with the gearbox from the same vendor. Chances are he salvaged the box from a rusted car. In particular the pedal box and the shifter surround are rather scarce.

Do you have SII and SIII parts catalogues to compare flywheel, starter, bell housing, drive shaft part numbers and avoid surprises? You should be able to order the clutch, the clutch master and slave cylinder new from our usual suspects.

It would be gorgeous if you could make a writeup and take some pics for a documentation of the conversion.

Good luck!

Jochen

I’m going to ask about the pedal box. It has a shifter but I’ll need the bushings. I don’t have an S3 parts catalog. I was considering using this kit on my pedal box: Jaguar clutch pedal (xcessivemanufacturing.com)

1 Like

Chris,

sorry, I forgot you can use the parts catalogues available at https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.com/older-vehicle-information.

As for the kit: at least to my eyes it looks a bit like a wonderful solution for an non-existing problem:-) Typically, the problem is not the pedal, but its stay (which doesn’t seem to be part of the kit) that both serves as a console for the pedals (and is able to take on the physical force exercised by the driver’s foot on heavy braking) and as a fixing point for both master cylinders. The part you look for should rather look like this one https://www.ebay.de/itm/311585511477 … there should be much cheaper ones around though …

Good luck

Jochen