XJ8 4.0 litre 2002; Fuel filling inhibitor on US cars

Hi,
A club member is asking about this after importing a 2002 4.0 litre X308 from USA.

His problem is that the car does not allow him to fuel up. Apparently, there is a valve in the filler system that will not allow the car to be fuelled unless all electrics have been shut off. This “feature” is now failing and needs to be checked or removed.

What can you tell me about this “function” of the XJ8?

Kind regards,
Bard Thomas

Common complaint when I worked at the dealer.
Here is the TSB Jaguar issued to dealer mechanics.

310-10 fuel tank faults.pdf (61.6 KB)

Thank you, Motocarman!! So this isn’t a US issue problem after all then…

Bard

1 Like

It’s there a similar one for the x300? Both my XJ12 and the XJ6 wouldn’t / won’t fill up unless the bottom left corner of the car is the highest point.

I have no idea if it has to do with EVAP system in the US.
We were only issued relevant TSBs for the Market we were in.

You could disconnect the charcoal canister to see if the fuel tank will fill faster?
Maybe the canister or the ‘close valve’ is the issue?
The EVAP FLANGE on the tank top can also be faulty?

Hi,
Well, I think we’ll try replacing the carbon cannister first, since the bulletin was farily clear on that, unless there are any damages to pipes, etc, which I find rather unlikely.

Regards,
Bard

Moin Harry,
That is interesting! Actually, the same carbon cannister is listed as a replacement for the X300 and X308.

Regards,
Bard

I would disconnect the pipes to the canisters before replacing components.

The result is the same if the canister is clogged/blocked and saving money is better than throwing parts at a problem but you do what you need to do.

With the pipes disconnected the fuel smell will increase but the canisters will be removed from the system.

I think only US cars have the canister close valve (CCV)

That was the assumption here too but, as it turns out, the Tech bulletin was for all markets.

Also, we disconnected the canister, and the car started perfectly and my client was able to fill it up at the gas station too! Happy days!

Regards,
Bard

1 Like