XJC Door and Wheel Well Rust Repair

My XJC has been a Californian car its entire life, so you maybe wondering why all the rust. Well it has spent it’s life in the San Francisco Bay area and the San Diego area…both of these have very salty air.

What is odd, is that the passengers side of the car has more and worse rust than the drivers side. Not sure why.

I am trying to wrap my head around all that is needed (parts and money) to fix the rust spots on the coupe. I realize the coupe doors are unique, but I read they were based off the sedan doors.

Does this mean that a sedan door can be a donor for the coupes door repairs? Basically, can I find a sedan door, cut it up, and use it as a patch panel? Would it be better to just buy a new door skin?

I have the same questions for the rocker panel area and rear wheel well areas.

Here is the passengers side:

Here is the drivers side:

Well, as to the lower wing are, seems common to me. An entire wing from a more common SIII ?

Same for the rocker panels. Might be a difference in length. SIII sedan longer??

Door more thought needed… It seems that the coupe door need be wider to open more and allow entry to the rear seat. USA cars are/were much that way.

So an SII door or skin would not be wide enough.

New XJC door skins???

Derelict XJc with a good door???

Make your own patch panels ands wel them in…

Check You tube several guys doing that. some with far worse beginning points…

Harry,

the sills should be easy as the coupé shares the platform with the SI and SII SWB sedans. Doors are specific of the coupés as they are longer. My first guess would have been to find two SII sedan front doors, peel off the skin, cut both with the required extra length and weld both parts together. Then again, even coupé doors should be around somewhere and a good welder will fix that lower corner part a lot quicker than making one new and even door skin out of two doors …

All the best for your project

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)