XJC - side strip vs pin stripe

Hi I have noticed that some XJCs have a chrome strip fitting down both sides of the car about 1/3 don from the window. Others just have a pinstrip in place of the chrome strip.

My 77 XJC had the chrome strip and my 76 has the pinstrip - was this change for 77 or is there another reason?

Thanks

Garry

According to Thorley, Original XJ Restorers Guide,the chrome trim was used on S1 and S2 VdP models, plus Daimler Double Six coupe, but was also standard on V12 Jaguars, saloon and coupe for 1976 model year, thereafter deleted for all Jaguar models. Is your '77 a late '76, perhaps first registered '77?

Opps my bad, just looked at the pics and the 77 which was made in 77 had the pinstripe as does the 76 that was built in Oct 76 and registered Nov 76 so may be a 77MY.

Sorry about that. :face_exhaling:

Regardless of year, is it not that all XJc’s only had the stainless belt line trims on the V12 cars? I’m pretty sure…

Years ago I sourced a complete set of stainless side trims to retrofit on my 75 XJ6C, paid a pretty strong price for them too. Never could bring myself to drill the required holes down the sides of the car :sweat_smile:. Few years later same guy wanted to buy them back, made a couple bucks and sold them back to him.

1 Like

Garry,

the Parts Manual is totally clear and indicates that all 6 cylinder coupés, even Jaguars, had the vinyl roof and the chrome side finishers. It does not give any indication to the use of tape pin stripes (as for the 4dr models) nor change over time or model range:

That being said, I am surprised as well as I thought that the chrome side finishers - which do the car no aesthetic favor, btw - were mounted only on Daimlers and 12 cylinder cars.

This car - without chrome - looks fairly original and is said to be registered the first time in 06/77

So, don’t worry about the chrome finishers and enjoy the clean lines of your coupé!

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

My quite original 4.2C is identical to this, regency red with yellowish pinstripe. No chrome, never has had. Maybe more common on US cars with the side repeater lights?

Yes Dave,

the original pin stripes on SII cars were either black (JLM9646) or gold (“yellowish”; JLM9648). I think on SIII cars there were more color options and the Daimlers even got hand painted and color-matched stripes.

Enjoy your cars - what a nice collection:-)!

Best regards to Otago

Jochen

1 Like

As soon as I get the four doors on my series 1 all lined up, I am intending a tasteful single pin stripe as your picture. They’re not far off - within standard build Jaguar tolerences - but not good enough to accentuate with a pin stripe. I my youth I had a Dolomite Sprint which came standard with ill fitted doors and a “thick, thin” black stripe combo. A monument to BL build performance in 1976. I’m not having that again.

1 Like

Just a BTW. When I visited the Jaguar factory in Coventry in 2002 the pin stripes were applied by hand with a fine brush. It was marvellous to see such craftsmanship in action.

Thanks for all the input and advice - as my car has the pin strip but I have seen others with the side trim I was just curious as to why the difference. Should have mentioned mine is a V12 so that may be part of it if the sixes were supposed to have the side trim.

Also - most of the Australian series 2 cars around this time were assembled in New Zealand so I wonder whether that had anything to do with it.

Garry

Hi Jochen and orhers,

I know this very well as I had to find out a few years ago, my XJ6C had been repainted in Italy in 2001.

I will dig the info about the stripe from the parts book. In 1973-1978 for all Jaguars it was a decal, i. e. plastic stripe with glue, according to the parts book only available in black and a yellowish gold. Yet Jaguar brochures do also show a red stripe on some paint colours.

On Daimlers that had the Vanden Plas treatment and special colours finished at Kingsbury, London, it was a real hand painted pinstripe. 1973-1976 the chrome side moulding was standard on 12-cyl cars and available as an optional extra for all cars. At that time the stripe was below the raised part of the side. In 1976 when the chrome molding became an optional extra also for 12-cyl cars the stripe was moved above the raised part of the side.

That is not documented anywhere but here on J-L.

All 2-door cars had the vinyl roof and also all Daimler Vanden Plas models, both 6-cyl and 12-cyl. But the vinyl roof was available also as an optional extra for all cars. It’s a rare option on normal XJ6 or Daimler Sovereigns but does exist.

Cheers!

1 Like

My God that is a gorgeous coupe! No side chromes for me!!!

1 Like

Jochen, I’m thinking the side finishers the book is referring to is the lower vinyl roof C pillar finishers, maybe not the side chrome? When I was sourcing the side trims everyone referred to them as V12 side trim. I think I got them from Pauls Jags in the 90’s.

1 Like

Just look at the page I posted: the chrome finishers for the vinyl roof are BD.42105/6. The side finishers are BD.47663/4 (rear), BD.47661/2 (door) and BD.41410/09 (front). No mention is made of the tape finishers, unlike one page before for four door models:

In this case I’d support the case “Parts manual is wrong” though as I’ve seen too many cars without the chrome finishers.

Best

Jochen

1 Like

Hi Jochen,

Yes, that is for the four door models. The tape is listed there right in the middle, both Black Tape and Gold Tape, but no Red ever mentioned anywhere although I know it was used for a few colours.

The S1 and S2 VDP had a hand painted pinstripe on the sides and I believe they may have been individually tied to the special colours used on the S1 and S2 VDP models only. They all had the vinyl roof. I have photos somewhere if the unmolested 21k mile S2 DD6 VDP that was in the Danish Aalholm collection.

Cheers!

My '75 XJ6c was Primrose with hand painted red stripes and no side finishers, Cinnamon interior. Original paint. Now it’s red… Not nearly as attached to the color now as when I painted it in '95. I really like the Primrose cars.

Point taken Jochen.
That brings up something I remember from way back though. Iirc the Daimler coupes had C pillar finishers with a really cool script D incorporated and it looks like the illustration in the parts book there almost looks kind of similar. I’d like to have a pair just for display. Just an observation from a long time ago. I think I’ll look for a pair.

I believe they are chrome-plated hard brass (?), like for example the chrome bonnet strip on Daimlers. I wish they were stainless, because then they would be easy to reform. Thus the rear door strip from saloons could be shortened for use on SWB cars. AFAIK, these sets were produced only for LWB car (?) and of course the coupe.

You’re correct Robert. Chrome over brass, I stand corrected. (I should make that part of my signature).

Also, I’m not seeing any pics of that Daimler c pillar chrome I’m referring to. I’m not dreaming though, I saw it more than once, but I digress. Maybe I’m just getting old…

I have a pair of those, which fit my Series 1 saloon–different from the finishers used on the S2 Coupes. I think mine are aftermarket (!) as they are stamped from stainless. I’m painting now and trying to decide on whether I want a vinyl roof (hood). Car is Regency Red/doeskin interior. Leaning now towards just painting. Might still fit the finishers just for more tart.

1 Like