XJR '96 X300, VIN 766138, owned since 2001!
First the engine cut out a few times on driving (check engine light came on momentarily), then it didn’t want to start a couple of times. Towed to garage, who cleaned the spark plugs, but that didn’t help for long. The plugs were pretty sooty. Cleaned up, helped for a short while, but symptoms continued. Now it won’t start at all.
Now I’ve done (almost) everything that I could find on the forum, but no luck so far.
The tachometer shows about 100 rpm on turning over. Tries to start, but it sounds as if only one cylinder tries to fire, if that.
Checked so far:
- No ODB2 error codes now (previously P1621, which cleared when I recharged the battery after so much starting)
- replaced crankshaft position sensor (made no difference)
- checked ECU contacts and harness. Seems fine.
- checked PI1 connector: seems fine.
- spark plugs are wet (smell of fuel), cleaning plugs makes no difference.
- checked fuses 6, 11, 12, 14 in front RH fuse box, all OK.
I’ve run out of ideas. Please help! I really like the car.