XJR '96 X300 Turns over, but won't start. Died slowly

Factory only, In my cases but they have lasted so long, if a coil goes, you know, it just runs flat.
Ive never heard of 6 go out.
If you have a basic test light
Test that current is going to the coil pack
pull off the long cover and have some one turn the key
test the feed wire on each first,
good luck.
gtjoey1314

X308 coils are very different to those in a X300!

Not suggesting they are the same Neil, just sharing my experience.

Robin,

Oh, you’re referencing x308 coils? Yes, that may be a whole different ballgame. The specified coils seem to be a unique problem for us AJ16 engines.

Problem solved! Thanks everybody! It’s been a great help. Here’s the rest of this story:

Changed all 6 coils with new Chinese ones (see below). A few screw threads were worn in the holes, so I put inserts (I don’t know how long that will last, but it works for now).

Started immediately. Idled a bit rough in the beginning, but after a spin around the ring road (25 km), the roughness went away. I assume it was just the spark plugs, which needed some work. Thried the start a few times, all OK.

Another funny thing happened, which might be of interest! Previously I had a check transmission light come on very soon after the car started. The shifts were also a bit sporadic. I thought that was going to be the next thing to work on. Well after I changed the coils, this fault went away!!! The tranny shifts like it should. I interpreted this to mean that the faulty coil was sparking, leading to electrical noise which was picked up by the transmission electronics, which went haywire as a result. I hope this helps someone.

To conclude, thanks again to all!!!

Coils: Here’s what I ordered from Amazon.de: [HZTWFC 6 Pack Zündspule OEM # 44430036 9000244 88921406 LHE1510AB 1788329 5C1176 ]
Sold by: HZTWFC AUTOPARTS.
They look like the original ones by appearance (yellow epoxy, not black). If they die soon, I’ll report.