XJS 92 4.0L Facelift stuck drivers door

Hello Folks,
The drivers door is stuck closed on my XJS 4.0L 92 Facelift. The inside lever pulls and i can hear it trying to release the catch from the keep on the post but it wont release. Is there a way of releasing it? Will the inside door cover come off with the door closed? Any help would be appreciated. Tks.
Charlie.

Hi Charlie. I had the same problem with my 95 coupe and it took me two days to get the passenger door open. However open it I did and if your car has the same locking system with the Ford style Tibbe key, which I think it has, then I can tell you how to do it in a few minutes. Firstly though can you tell me if your car door is still stuck or if you have sorted the problem as obviously the instructions to release it will take time and I dont want to waste any. Please let me know. Cheers. Richard.

Thanx Richard, the door’s still stuck and i’ve been persisting with the WD40 and of courese hoping. Any help appreciated. Charlie.

I had the same thing happen on my 95. You can get the door panel off with the door closed. Then I took out the glass. Finally I could get inside near the latch and pull the catch. Ordering the replacement internals from a junk yard helped me visualize what I was doing inside the door before hand. The old door latch guts have several large rivets used as pivot points and mine had just rusted up solid one day. I think you will be replacing your locking mechanism so order a used one and it will really help you see what is happening. I got mine on eBay. Good luck!

Thanx Richard that sounds like good advice. I was wondering if it was possible to get the panel off with the door closed. Will have a go at it. I assume once the panel was off you just pulled the control rod with a pair of grips?

Hi Charlie. I wouldnt advise trying to take the door card off without the door being open before you try my method. You will need a length of stiff wire such as as a straightened out coat hanger. Once you have clipped off the ends so it has no bendy bits form with a pair of long nose pliers a hook at one end. This needs to be like a fishing hook that will just about go round the end of your little finger. The wire needs to be straight and about 18 ins long although you are only going to be using about 10 ins the rest is to hold onto an if you can put a bit of a bend in the end opposite the hook it will prevent you from losing it inside the door.The area you need to access is the back of the chrome and black lock which protrudes out of the edge of the door opposite the hinge end. Take a look at the one on the working door so you can see where about it is. Its actually only abo

Hi Charlie. I wouldnt advise trying to take the door card off without the door being open before you try my method. You will need a length of stiff wire such as as a straightened out coat hanger. Once you have clipped off the ends so it has no bendy bits form, with a pair of long nose pliers, a hook at one end. This needs to be like a fishing hook that will just about go round the end of your little finger. The wire needs to be straight and about 18 ins long although you are only going to be using about 10 ins the rest is to hold onto and if you can put a bit of a bend in the end opposite the hook it will prevent you from losing it inside the door.The area you need to access is the back of the chrome and black lock which protrudes out of the edge of the door opposite the hinge end. Take a look at the one on the working door so you can see where about it is. Its actually only about 6 ins down from the top of the door. Now wind the window right down as far as it will go. You should now be able to push something in to
hold the two rubber rain guards apart and hopefully shine a torch down to see the internal part of the lock which is brassy in colour but is probably covered in rust. This is not what you are aiming at. That lock, via a series of links and pivots simply lifts a metal peg which is part of the normally visible chrome and black lock and protrudes through the door skin. You have to find that peg with your hook. There is probably a quarter of an inch extra protruding from the outer lock through the metal of the door skin and through the internal lock. You can see it from your view point down between the held apart rubbers. Get the hook underneath it and firmly pull it upwards! If it moves the door will open. Haleluia I hope it does. It did for me so good luck. Cheers. Richard.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

1 Like

Sorry. Dont know what happened there but hope this is understandable. R

Thanx for the comprehensive advice. I’ll have a go at it tomorrow and if its a Ureka! moment i’ll certainly let you know…Regards Charlie.