Xjs AC compressor advice

Sorry you’re having trouble, Jerry.

When I click on the link I’m taken to my Home page. Same thing if I copy the URL into 3 different browsers (MS Edge, Chrome, or Opera).

The home page shows me and my wife at the Grand Canyon. Right above that photo is a menu. Click on Ed’s Interests, and then on Eds-2013-XK-SE/

BTW, what browser are you using?

Ed

Ed, I’m using Chrome.

The first issue I noticed was that, when the link didn’t open up, I right clicked to the the ‘open in new tab’ menu and the menu which came up was the menu which comes up when there is no link.

See screen captures attached.

When I right click over your link, menu is not like when there is a link (see next)

This is the right click menu I get when there is a link.

This is the right click menu I get when right clicking on something which does not have a link. Same as I get right clicking your link.

This is the web page coding of your link and the “Air Conditioning Rebuild.pdf” link above yours. Looks like something was different and that is why your page isn’t opening (for me using Chrome).

The photos not showing was my error as I didn’t notice the slight color change in text for the “Photos” link.

I agree… the link text should be bold.

Regarding clicking on a link text (like Photos) I normally do a left-click. However, when I do use right-click the pop-up menu seems to work like it should, e.g., open in a new tab does exactly that and I see the photo album. Or, if I use the “copy link” option and then do a paste into a browser URL field I see the album.

Do you have a different device you can try it in? E.g., I can poke www.efsowell.us into my Galaxy phone and it works.

Ed

Ed, using my Samsung Gslaxy S10+ I can open your site. All I did was click on your www.efsowell.us . Click and navigate works well. Only issue I have is trying to get “more” when reading through your XJS projects…opens an Oops page

This link works (trying it on my phone Galaxy S22 Ultra) and your second links works, but the first link still does not.

Many thanks to Ed @Ed_Sowell and Bernard @Robert_Wilkinson, precious material complementing @Kirbert ´s book.
My XJ6 AC slowly discharged along 10 years and when i went to charge it last year the shop said don’t bother , you have a leak at the compressor .

I thought doing it all myself but I realise that even Ed and Bernard had to take the car to a shop to drain the system or load it. I am currently living in Belgium and shops are not so flexible, to put it nicely, . They either do it it all at a cost or don’t expect great help.

My car still has the R12 ports but I think i remember being told by the PO 20 yrs ago that the system had the new gas (R134a?) But maybe I am dreaming. Anyways, will i put in a new compressor I will use R134a, with new o-rings, maybe the expanse valve if it will come out easy and I will see how it goes. Not willing to do much on that side, Belgium is not Texas or Arizona :slight_smile:

Many thanks also to Jay @xjay6 for his help with ED´s.pdf !

Best,
Rui

Regarding R12 ports, it’s possible to use R134A with R12 ports which are same connections as typical residential condenser “ports” so someone could use a residential AC manifold/hose set up to place in R134a. I have done it before.

I believe there is a slight reduction in capacity by reusing the R12 condenser but one will notice a big difference in replacing to new 134a condenser because of the age. The older condenser has a much lower air flow capacity from all those years in use getting hit with dirt and other junk that even power washing will never get out. That’s my opinion. Remember, there is a heat transfer going on between the evap and condenser.

True about dirt in the old condenser. But the newer style of condensers is a different design (parallel flow instead of serial flow through tubes) and is inherently more efficient. A problem is that you can’t properly flush out a parallel flow condenser should it get clogged with debris from a compressor failure or similar–unlike the older style, it must be discarded. IMHO.

1 Like