XJS Fault codes for anti lock brake system

1991 XJS ABS braking system fault codes

Welcome to the forums Christopher, I’m afraid your post is a little too cryptic, what exactly are you asking for?

What are you looking for? Do you want a list of codes? Do you want to know how to read a code? Not sure what you’re asking

Obviously there is no OBD II system for that MY … In fact, IIRC, that pre-dates the J.D.S. (Jaguar Diagnostic System) with fault codes displayed on the dash readout. :thinking:

I think that is the list of codes the O/p has…nil, NADA, none…

He’s just posted up to make everyone jealous.

@91xjs1

Teves II system as fitted to the Xj-s has a long running thread which will explain all you need to know about it. It’s long, but worth the read to have a really good understanding of this system. Teves iii braking system failure - XJ-S - Jag-lovers Forums

ABS fault codes
ABS Diagnostic.pdf (682.2 KB)
ABS Lights.pdf (182.6 KB)

2 Likes

So is that the same system as on my '94, Dieseldude, or is that Teves III? :confused: And are those tests you show done the same way, if so, or is there a different list that is applicable to that system?

This should work
Thanks very much

Well, it turns (according to Ate) out there is no Teves III system, so all these are indeed Teves II systems, unless you have information to the contrary.

It would be useful if you feed back any testing and results you find.

As you can probably see from the long Teves III thread, there has been a lack of knowledge of how these systems function, their failure reasons and how to fix them.

Mr Forbes, After you pull codes , remember to keep you Master Cly “overfull”. Good luck! Remember, sometimes the verbose lack true wrench time on these cars. If you are new to these , remember to flush the old fluid now and then also.

Somewhere around 94 they went to a (slightly) more modern ABS system. I don’t know what they called it if anything.
This very pretty 95 4L engine bay shows the late vacuum booster and somewhat more modern electric ABS pump without the bomb. https://f7432d8eadcf865aa9d9-9c672a3a4ecaaacdf2fee3b3e6fd2716.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/C2565/U1514/IMG_48708-large.jpg

That would be Teves IV.

I suspect cost was the deciding factor in changing the system type. Facelift cars are always cheaper to produce than the previous version, though was that when Ford took over, in which case it may also be rationalisation.

Funny, I’ve been reading “Teves III” all over in Jag land for long as I can remember, wonder where it came from? Does not seem to exist.

IV makes “mechanical-hydraulic components superfluous” since you just plumb it into any given booster and master cylinder setup you happen to have I guess. I’m sure it was cheaper, pretty much everyone went to a similar setup until fairly recently when things got way over-complicated.

Bosch used to sell a retrofit ABS setup for track cars that was standalone and adjustable, I’ve seen a few people fit basic 90’s ABS to older cars, seems to work well enough. I think one guy used a C4 ish Corvette setup on an older Jaguar, he’s on one of the forums somewhere.

Interesting
Thanks

That’s the trouble with internet myth.
Someone says something unsubstantiated a few times, which is then repeated often and gradually becomes a factoid.
Eventually another challenges the status quo and is summerly put before the firing squad…only for them to be found correct latterly… :rofl:

1 Like

Depends where a man lives: Some can more easily claim to find ‘Internet Myth’ to “cut and paste to death” than the real enemy : Wind-Mills. Good stuff, as them windmills hide in pesky low country… !

Interesting Jag introduced the mkii abs in 89, the very year the mkiv came out.
The mk20 was out in 95, about when we got the mkiv.
Guess there was no need to be in a rush…

And who taught these guys how to name products lol…
Maybe the 5th through 19th version really weren’t very good.
The “mkiii” must have killed a bus load of orphans and nuns or something
so they just skipped it.

1 Like