XJS Lister Found at salvage yard

I don’t believe a Lister is considered a “factory” product. Lister was an aftermarket upgrade shop. And yes, it’s supposedly MUCH more than a spoiler package; Lister endeavored to wring considerably more power out of the V12. We’ve had some comments from Roger Bywater about that, including some he didn’t consider too favorably. For example, IIRC, Bywater mentioned Lister tweaking the fuel mapping by merely bumping the rail pressure up a bit.

I don’t think you could get those intake horns from Jaguar. It might not be too challenging to fab them, though. Again, take them off and post a bunch of detail pictures and we’ll see what others think about them.

Jaguar never offered a 5-speed with the V12 AFAIK. They did offer one with the 6-cyl, and they offered a 4-speed with the very early V12. I’d be interested in the details regarding that clutch pedal and master cylinder, as that’s one of the fun parts of fitting your own 5-speed. Most of the 5-speeds that came with the 6-cyl also came with ABS brakes, meaning that particular pedal housing wasn’t applicable. It’s either from the early V12s (only 100 made), the early (non-US) 3.6, or Lister fabbed it themselves by drilling on a brake pedal housing from an A/T car. I suspect it’s the latter, but perhaps still with the clutch pedal itself from a 6-cyl.

My wife wants to know if you’re married.

Gee, my first thought was to purchase another XJ-S, one with good body and shot engine, and swap all the Lister stuff over to that car.

1 Like

Driven Man uses a Tremec tranny and their own unique bellhousing, I think. In fact, I think the bellhousing may be clearly marked.

I would love to have a manual in my XJ-S This is the first I’ve heard of the driven man.

I’ve seen their websites which appeared to focused on lumps, which isn’t my cup of tea so I dismissed the site. I take it there are other good stuff there?

Anyone have an XJ-S with a manual transmission? I’m curious.

Originally known as Keisler, if I recall correctly. First couple kits had issues, needed some bugs worked out. I think Driven Man simply took over the marketing for the kit.

I’ve heard a few derogatory comments about Tremec recently, but prior to that they seemed to be considered the primo transmission short of that BW 6-speed used in the Viper. Tremec makes a couple of different models, but supposedly both are based on the Ford top-loader (which was a 4-speed) updated and uprated. Supposedly a somewhat notchy shifter, but otherwise very sound. What have people heard bad about it?

And no, I have no idea what tranny is in the Lister. Being a European product, I’d guess it’s Getrag.

Well that would be the easiest way to go about it, but why do that when there is a hardway. :)‎

My logic is if this is a true North American Lister, which i didn’t realize Listers where anything but a RHD UK phenomena. To me, having a numbers matching original and one hell of a project to me that is intriguing‎. So there you have it,why do things the easy why when i can over complicate it. Now there is a bit of insight on my roller coaster ride‎ of existence.

It could be a European spec Lister, could it not? They drive on the right side of the road over there, only the UK hasn’t got the memo.

Anybody have any good idea what the market looks like for a Lister? Matching numbers or otherwise?

I here what you are saying about the SC because I’ve always liked that body style too and it is distinctive. The Lister on the other hand although unique it is an undocumented vehicle. Excluding the spoiler package I don’t think that any two of them were ever the same and no one can say that this particular car is a real Lister or just some cosmetic upgrades that a dealer put together.
That being said I could just as easily turn my XJS into a Lister using the parts from this car and no one would be the wiser.

I appreciate the interest but the body parts are one of the reasons that I jumped on the car in the first place.

What I may try and do is replicate the parts, though.

AFAIK and it may have changed by now but the Driven Man’s bells are made by that outfit in Idaho (I think they’re in Idaho) I’m sure you’d know the name if I could think of it. They make a lot of bells.

I have heard the real story from others years ago and some real funky stuff went down between them and Keisler got the big screw.

I’ve mentioned that a few years back already but no one thought to take me serious. Other tranny guys have told me about their sourcing practices to name just one of the faults and not to mention their assembly practices. I’ve never bought one.

I have no way of knowing that either but I’d be willing to bet my dollars to your donuts that they went with Getrag

The Listers were undocumented cars, they were like one off upgrades and people were able to specify different options that they wanted much like AMG was with Mercedes. Listers engine upgrades weren’t compliant with the US regs and never made it state side. That’s not to say that a few of them couldn’t have fallen through the cracks and made their way. Back in the 80’s when the Deutsche Mark was low and people were bringing in cars who knows what could have happened then. Heck back in those days I had a grey market 6 series BMW. I wish I’d never gotten rid of that car.

1 Like

Right or left side?
Yes i know, I’ve spent‎ some time behind the wheel over there. Both in the UK, and the continent. Me likes the Autobon :smiley:

I took more pictures of the whole car today. I don’t think it’s hard to see that it’s a total loss

1 Like

Don’t only US spec cars have that MGB-style front fender light? Might be a clue to the origin.

Yea…that would be VERY difficult to bring back to life.

Not an XJS, but a '74 DDS VDP, with clutch from a 6 cyl XJS, Toyota Supra 5 speed, custom bellhousing from Oz

Was my daily driver for a few years, 5 speed manual V12 is a fine thing

I’m curious what other modifications were required? such as
Drive line shortened or lengthened?
What’s an Oz. I know what a bell housing is…?

How did you compensate for the pedal box / clutch slave?
Did the gearshift leaver come up in the appropriate location?
'74, So the diff gearing was acceptable. 3.(something) to 1 ratio?
Speedometer cable?

If you like Personal Message me on this topic cause I don’t want to take a way from the Lister thread.