Xjs loss of power after an hr drive

Hi All ,
I love my racing green 94 XJS , 6 cylinder convertible . The starter was replaced last week. My idle valve replaced( rpm up and down with cold start ) and an one way valve for gasline placed in engine , since it always need extra gas when restarting after a short drive . I was told there is a sensor/ valve ? on fuel pump bad. ? ok , I am almost a “Blonde” , wouldn’t there be pressure ingas line all the time with fuel injection
So after an hr driving in very hot weather, the car just starting running on a couple cylinder s? not like a misfire ,( already replace cap and wires/ spark plugs last year). My oil looks good , radiator fluid looks clean, my oil pressure indicator looked low 1/4, but may have always been like that, head gasket ?
battery is charged . starter turns beautiful, I have spark , but do I have fuel pressure ?
may be something simple?? but will have to tow it for diagnostic. I did not see a code on dash . My jag mechanic husband passed away , now I need to ’ trust " the shops , NOT , Car and me are in North San Diego. Any mobile jag mechanics?

any idea how to check fuel pressure and what it should be ? How to check for fuelpump?

Does the car seem to be bogging down when you press the gas peddle ?
I have been dealing with a similar problem if that is the case and when it gets up to temperature it gets worse. I have not sorted the problem after a mechanic and I have both gone through all the check lists. I am now going to put it on my rack and start at the gas tank and work my way to and through the engine until I get it running right. Up until this the car has run flawlessly. By the way it has just over 50,000 miles on it.

Stephen

Hi Stephen, my car is not even starting right now. Usually not bogging down, this is a sudden event,
Thanks

Hello, since you car is 1996 (or later ) it has OBD2. On board diagnosis TWO. There is a port under the dash for a connection to a scan tool that has the ability to see into your cars computer ( CPU ) and many functions of the engine management system. See if you can find someone to " look " at your car with a scanner. Try to locate the problem before throwing money at it by changing parts. Pete

I agree with Pete!
Call your local autozone they lend tools, and maybe a guy to do it if your not to far away.

On the other side it sounds like crank position sensor if it won’t start or clogged fuel filter/ pickup screen.

Just thinking out loud of previous conversations.

Hi Pete, I guess , i wrote 96 , it is a 1994 , cannot use the OBD2. with warm regards Gina

Time to check the throttle pot.

– Kirbert

The AJ6 and the v12’s from '94 and '95 share the same one, p/n DBC2626, which is unobtanium.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/part/DBC2626

This is the one with the 6 wires and idle voltage at 0.6V (as opposed to 0.32V for the older one with the 3-wires).

I’ve been on this forum 7 years now and have not seen a single post describing a modified part from another car that will do the job. For the 3-wire sensor, such mods abound.

Looking forward to hear new ideas.

Best regards,
Steve

My problem started with the fuel filter. The car started to run badly when
the accelerator was depressed. I changed what was probably the original
fuel filter and it was clogged. The car ran okay for a while but the
problem returned on a trip to my client’s last year. I had an oxygen sensor
code. I changed that, the crank position sensor, the water temp. sensor
with no improvement. Since then I have changed out new and good used parts
to check just about every problem that has been suggested. The problem I am
having is that there is no one in my vicinity of Pittsburgh that has
diagnostic equipment for the XJS. Mine is a 94 4.0 coupe.
Can you thoroughly describe your problem. By the way, my car is now very
hard to start.

Stephen

Jaguar PDU are almost nowhere to be found in the US. This is the only equipment available to your AJ6-powered car (as well as the 6.0L v12s)
I’ve heard of 2 independent shops in the whole country that have working PDUs (no dealers, indies).
One outside DC, one in Minneapolis. But the customer reviews were not positive for either, which probably means that even with a PDU, you can’t do much on an older Jag.

I am in the same boat with you – one of my banks randomly shuts down ALL injectors. Nobody knows why.
ALL vacuum lines renewed, ALL new sensors, reworked ECU (yes, I have two functional 36CU – the unicorn of the Jaguar ECUs), fuel pumps, filter, injectors. You name it – has been checked and/or replaced.

Only the TPS is original, and the harness. I am planning on a harness rebuilt this winter. My last hope.

Steve

Gina. Time to think of a PLAN B. Contact the local Jaguar owners club and explain your situation and the issue. Ask if they can recommend a reliable mechanic. Better yet see if someone could take a look at your car and do some basic trouble-shooting for you. Try to find a person who has experience with a similar car ( year and engine ) Good luck Pete

TWO 3-wire sensors would certainly work. The only problem is ganging
them together physically. IIRC, some of those Hall effect sensors have a
hole clean through them, so perhaps you could stack two.

– Kirbert