Xjs red brake light stays on

Hello,
I have bought a Xjs (1990)
There were some problems with the brake system. I fixed most of it except for the red warning light that stays on. I changed the double valve (no difference) the only time the light goes out is when I pump the brake pedal rapidly. The pumps starts and when it is halfway through the cycle the light comes one again. Does anyone know what to do? (It is not the brake reservoir float)

May be indicating that the handbrake is on.

Unlike like most other handbrakes, the handbrake in the XJS pulls up to set, then the hand goes back down to allow entry/exit. To release the handbrake, pull the handle up, push the button to release the handbrake set, then, with the button still pushed, lower the handbrake handle.

My guess is that the handbrake pads may be shot now. They don’t hold much anyway, and driving the car with the handbrake on, which is more common than many may think, does a number on the handbrake pads because they are ‘on’,

1 Like

Lvv,

I had a similar problem with our Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) equipped 1990 XJ-S convertible in 2018. Search the Jag-Lovers archives for “combined pressure switch” and you will find out more. I removed and replaced our combined pressure switch with a used one that I purchased on eBay and that fixed the problem. We continue to drive this car and the Anti-Lock Brake System functions properly as designed with the amber and red warning lights coming on at start and extinguishing shortly after start as described in the Drivers Manual.

Paul

1 Like

The handbrakes on these cars are useless, JerryPeck is absolutely correct about the function. My car has one of the parking brake pads missing, my shop wanted $800 to replace them all, apparently it is not a simple job. The only good the brake does, is allow you to lower the convertible top if you have one. (It needs to be on to do this!)

Hi Paul
I already changed the combined pressure switch but with no result. I read all your previous findings on this but wit no result for my problem. I noticed that when de pressure is low the light goes off and when the pressure is high the light comes on

Lvv,
Your 1990 XJ-S has two red brake related warning lights on the instrument panel, a red “BRAKE” light that indicates a problem with the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), and a red “PARK BRAKE” light that indicates when the handbrake is applied.
Please confirm that you are reporting a problem with the “BRAKE” light and not the “PARK BRAKE” light to avoid any confusion over which red light you are asking about. Two of the replies to your post responded were about the red “PARK BRAKE” light. I thought you were asking about the red ABS “BRAKE” light. Please confirm which red warning light you were referring to.

Paul

1 Like

Lvv,
What color was the original combined pressure switch in your car and what color was the replacement combined pressure switch that you installed?

Paul