XJS transmission whining noise

If you drop the pan again install a drain plug. Makes future work much less messy.

2 Likes

Heavy machinery ATF? Mistake. Castrol Dex/Merc. Whining is pump cavitation, and you are sucking a milkshake through a straw and it is expecting Coca Cola viscosity.

Didn’t pull tube? Mistake, you have to put new orings on case side.

There is too much TH400 advice geared towards the drag strip out there, even in Kirby’s book. Shift kits, valve body adaptions, etc. Don’t do any of it.

1 Like

I use this. Great stuff. My TH400 loves it.

1 Like

So I checked the rear mount, and there is definitely something wrong. It looks like I put everything together in correlation with the diagrams but the bottom plate (18) with the big nut (19) is still firmly pressed upward against the main mount plate.

As if the new bushing is too thick.

Please tell me what I’m doing wrong

Check bushing 3

What should I check? Can it go on in more than one way?

Bushing #3 is pressed inside the hole of the big plate, it does not just sit on top.

2 Likes

Ok! Then that’s the problem and I mis-interpreted the diagram.
Thank you!

This is upside down on the bench but you can see how the bushing is seated.

There was some talk about this a few years ago on here, that the diagram is wrong, in that the washer #28 goes BELOW #27 sleeve.

I was able to fit the bushing in the plate. It put up quite a fight but I had the upper hand.
I put it back together and took it for a drive. Now it feels much smoother and has almost no noise. Obviously it’s still there, just barely audible. It sounds more how you would expect an old auto trans to sound like.
Thanks for the help!

1 Like

Glad you fixed it. When I first bought my car, on the test drive, a heat shield was touching the transmission. It made quite a racket, noisiest in first gear. Fortunately I had run across that before, so I still bought the car!

1 Like

FWIW, these TH400s have a natural whine in 1st gear, especially at high rpm.

Probably why Jaguar vacuum modulator was set so low, car shifted to 2nd gear at like 9mph! When i first got car, i thought it was so sluggish. 90% of the time it was in 3rd gear! A new adjustable modulator cured that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unless you keep your right foot planted … in which case it shifts to 2nd at around 65 … :cowboy_hat_face: