XJS V12 91 Coupe rear suspension height adjust

Hello Folks,
I’ve just changed the rear springs/shox on my 91 V12 coupe and the rear suspension is 30mm high approx. It certainly looks higher than before. Has anyone encountered this problem and is there any way of adjusting this down? Thanx in anticipation. Charlie.

What shocks did you use? I’ve found on other cars, Bilstein can add about 1/2".

The difference between a good gas shock and a dead shock can add about 1/2". Are you saying the Bilsteins add more yet? Like, they have more gas pressure than other shocks?

I suspect it’s the springs. Good gas shocks will increase height a bit…but for a 30mm increase I’m betting on the springs.

Over the years (decades, really) there have been quite a few similar tales of woe. My conclusion is that vendors are selling incorrect specification springs that are ‘supposed’ to be correct …but they ain’t. Often the catalog listings show a very large spread of applications…which suggests the spring is somewhat correct for many different models but not truly correct for any of them.

Sometimes, though, reports of “too high” are followed by “they seem to have settled a bit” a couple weeks later. Maybe you’ll get lucky!

Just my two cents :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

1 Like

When I disassembled the stock Boge and original springs there were 2 packers on each shock. I installed the new Bilstein on the original springs with 2 packers. The car was way high nearly 40 mm.

Through much trial and error, I settled on original springs, Bilstein and no packers installed. This gave me 7 inches of clearance at diff plate to ground which I believe is spot on by the book.

Do you have any packers installed? You can adjust height by removing/adding packers.

Gordon

Many thanx for the informative replies. I dont have packers installed. i had thought of going to height adustable shox until i saw the price.
I’ve had to carry a large weight in the boot(not a relative) for the last couple of days and thought i might just leave it there for a while to see if the height settles. If it drops it say 15mm then I’ll live with it as its bound to drop more over time. Regards…Charlie.

It won’t and it shouldn’t… at least in the near future…

I removed the weight and the height has dropped slightly~about 10mm. Looks like i’ll have to live with it.