XK 120 Brake servo

Still progressing the rebuild. Good progress being made. Having just installed discus to the front I am now faced with the dilemma of whether or not to use a servo (to the front only). if I do use a servo where/how do I make the pipe connections work given most if not all servos allow for the smaller 3/16 tubing?

Any help greatly appreciated

best regards
Phil D.

Hi Phil,
Sorry for the late reply, but I only follow this forum from time to time …
I have done the front disc brakes / servo conversion on my 120 OTS, it works well and I recommend it for safe road use.
There are two brake servo sizes on the market, I took the larger one, I can find the reference if you wish. You just need an adaptor for the connection to the XK large size pipe. See Automec, for example.
You need to make a specific angled bracket out of thick metal sheet (2mm) to fit it solidly to the highest point inside the wing, using the existing bolts on the scuttle also used for the splash panel. It is better to install it at an angle to make bleeding easier. Replace the brake pipe which runs from the master cylinder to the front brakes T junction, by two pipes running parallel, one from the master cylinder, running along the chassis, up the scuttle and into the servo, and another one, from the servo, back down the scuttle, along the chassis and into the front brakes T junction. The vacuum hose from the servo needs to be connected to the back of the intake manifold by replacing the blanking screw by a nipple you can make yourself with a piece of copper tubing and an ordinary plumbing union (same thread). It is better to add a non-return valve somewhere along this hose.
Then you can protect the servo from wheel projections by making a sheetmetal shield.
It took me some time to bleed and I had to unbolt it to give it more angle during bleeding, to finally expel all air.
Apart from the fact that I had badly machined discs, supplied by a well-known European supplier (!), which I had to have resurfaced, I am very satisfied with the braking, which is strong and reassuring.
More details if you wish. HTH. Best regards, Francis

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply Francis.
With best regards
Philip Dobson

I installed Coopercraft brakes on the front of my XK140, I didn’t install a servo. the brakes work very well but require a lot of pedal effort. I’m thinking of installing the servo available as a kit from the brake manufacturer this winter so my wife can drive the car. Disk brakes and a five speed make all the difference with these old machines!

Hello again Phil.
Photo of my 120 chassis. Started in 2000/2001, still in prog.
If you want me to phone, please inform.

I would like you to call me please Peter. I did reply to your mail yesterday with my number did you not get it?

With best regards
Philip Dobson

this post can’t be empty