XK 120 explored

I see various editions of the XK Explored book for sale; which is the best version.?

Ron,

Of course the most recent version which is the Revised 2019 Edition.

But even then you will find ā€œimperfectionsā€ in the data and drawings, but it remains a great help during any restoration. Donā€™t know whether Terry McG. is working on an improved version as I believe he was gathering input from Forum Members. If there ever will be another editionā€¦?

I understand from Roger P. that it is highly unlikely that there ever will be an update of ā€œXK 140 Exploredā€ (2010 revised edition) with his helpā€¦

Bob K.

As one who purchased an original edition for a rather astronmical outlay, I am very interested to see how these later editions may have improved. The quality of the original book and the historical detail included is excellent as are most of the drawings and details. The effort involved must have been enormous and is acknowledged. However shortcomings become obvious and have been well discussed. It would be great to see this evolve to a reliable reference but I have not had the opportunity to evaluate any subsequent editions. It is still a fantastic general reference to have on hand.

Yes, the books are quite expensive so I canā€™t buy both, just wanted input from people who have had a chance to compare the two,

Ron,

If youā€™re only interested in the XK 120, just by the Revised Edition. This was an update of the original version.
This book still is a very welcome source of information during the running restoration of my XK 120, but unfortunately there are a many (small) errors.

Bob K.

Ron_Brazell,
Yes, the books are quite expensive so I canā€™t buy both.

Ron.
Amazon has a hardback copy of the 2019 revised edition for sale for Ā£108. Its the cheapest one Iā€™ve seen for a long time.

Cheers Phil.

Thatā€™s less than 2 hours professional labour and having spent four years on a 120 restoration I have no doubt it will pay for itself very quickly (despite any errors). Buy it!

I also have the first edition, and it was a boon during the final stages of my (much protracted) restoration. It might be an interesting J-L exercise to put together an errata.

Viart XK120 Explored Errors.pdf (58.5 KB)
This is for the first edition dated 2012.
Iā€™m sure I didnā€™t find them all.
Please send all corrections to me, Rob Reilly.
robreilly120@comcast.net

3 Likes

With that number of errors would it be best to get the second edition?

Wow! Good work.

I wouldnā€™t discount the first edition too much. Itā€™s still a great wealth of knowledge and information for a restorer. Not a coffee table book A current errata makes it just as valuable as the current version.

Were all the errors and suggestions actioned in the later edition(s)?

I have the first edition. Iā€™m happy with an errata.

Kevin,

Certainly not. And also some new ones introduced during the update.
The 2019 version indicates which are the new or ā€œamended platesā€.
Again, the book is a great help during restoration, quickly accessible if you need a part number, but there are mistakes in it.
If I only had timeā€¦

Bob K.

1 Like

I agree it is a valuable addition despite some shortcomings, not least that it could well do with an index! It takes me an eternity to ever find anything. I have the later ā€˜plates onlyā€™ version.

Hi Allā€¦so the xk120 explored revised reprint 2019ā€¦which has ā€œthe platesā€ on the coverā€¦does this just contain the drawings only?.. as per this link. ā€¦thanksā€¦Steve https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jaguar-120-Explored-Revised-Reprint/dp/1908658169/ref=asc_df_1908658169/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=499447908170&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11070431423407987948&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006896&hvtargid=pla-1087062212041&psc=1

Steve,

I have the XK 120 Revised Edition and XK 140 Explored versions which are largely identical (and even some ā€œcopy-pasteā€ was used by Viart).
The XK 140 Explored version consists in fact of two parts: The Exploration and The Plates. The Exploration section covers much of the history of the XK 140 whereas The Plates lists all the technical aspects with drawings and part numbers.
The XK 120 ā€œRevised Reprintā€ of 2019 only has the latter section.
I donā€™t know whether the original XK 120 (2012?) edition or the XK 150 version have an Exploration section as well.

Bob K.

Hi Bobā€¦many thanksā€¦i have the 150 exploredā€¦it has a first sectionā€¦Explorationā€¦history, models etcā€¦second sectionā€¦the plates/drawingsā€¦third sectionā€¦pictorial tributeā€¦special bodiesā€¦150,s in competitionā€¦just ordered the 120/plates versionā€¦cheersā€¦Steve

Thank you Rob! I just printed all of your pages and will keep it in the back of my dog-eared copy of the book. Very appreciated.

1 Like

The 120 revised ā€œthe platesā€ arrived todayā€¦must say im very pleased with itā€¦almost 1/2 the price i paid for my 150 explored and it has far more detail in all sectionsā€¦such a shame the 150 version isnt coverd in as much detailā€¦an example is the 120 section on bolts. Setcrews. Nuts etc (not in the 150 version)ā€¦giving part number and dimensionā€¦simple but a lot of info collated and welcomeā€¦Steve