XK 120 late Petrol Filler with "Snapsac"?

My April 1954 XK 120 has a Petrol Filler Lid construction that is (basically) identical to the one of the XK 140 and 150.
The Striker has a pin at the other end that runs through a 7/16" hole in the Filler Box. The XK 140 and 150 use a so-called “Snapsac” (Jaguar BD.9489) which basically is a plastic sealing sleeve which is pushed in the 7/16" (11 mm) hole and (as far as I understand) protects the pin at the other end of the striker.
Snapsac’s are still used but only as fixation for interior parts like door panels, but cannot find them in the correct diameter.

Questions:

1. Does any one know whether the (later) XK 120s should have that same Snapsac button? It’s not in the XK 120 parts catalogue (not even in the 1958 reprint).
  2. How have others solved the issue of “the missing Snapsac” (perhaps also an interesting title for a new detective series)?

Bob K.

It seems I’m the only one who has this problem…
See also the photo below of my XK 140 FHC that (fortunately) still had this “snapsac”. Does anybody have a spare one or at least anything similar that fits a 7/16" (11 mm) hole? All other “snapsacs” are far too small.

Bob K.

Found this on an Australian site but cannot determine the dimensions.

Bob,
Not understanding your description but having owned quite a few XKs I am relatively certain such a part was never used in the120 construction. E-types used a similar part in the holes in the floors to receive the carpet hold down button. Take more photos of your problem parts and sheet metal I am sure I or someone will help you.
Mike

I too don’t recognize it as being on my 120, am thinking you’re the only one who has this problem. :wink:
But the words door card triggered a memory. I think my 2000 S-Type had something similar in the doors to hold on the inner panels.
So maybe if you went to your Jag or Ford dealer and said XK (which the kids behind the counter have heard of) without saying 120 (which they never heard of), or maybe S-Type or Lincoln LS, they would say ah yes, we have those.

1 Like

Lewis,

That’s correct: the “snapsac” is still around but the diameter used in the XK 140/150 is larger than the versions used for interior trim.

Bob K.

Mike,

Same answer as I gave to Lewis: the smaller diameters are still available but not the larger 7/16" (11 mm) size which was used in the XK 140/150.

Bob K.

Rob,

I guess that the “snapsac” was introduced at the start of the XK 140 production in 1954. Apparently there were some problems with the open hole for the back end of the striker, like petrol or rain water running on the boot carpets. It could be used on the XK 120 (same construction) but apparently it wasn’t. But XK 140 and 150 owners should recognize my picture of the “snapsac” unless they all have got lost over the decades and my XK 140 FHC was the only car that still had its original. .

Bob K.

First time I’ve ever looked under there.
So the latch wedge has a round tail end shaft which passes through the filler box. Feels like there is a coil spring in there, I suppose located on the shaft.
Mine has two drain tubes, both coming out over the tire.

round end contracted

round end extended

Rob,

Looks just like mine (1954) so I think we have to follow the XK 120 SPC (that doesn’t list the Snapsac). Remains the question why the Snapsac was added for the XK 140 (with the same Striker construction) and 150. See my earlier photo and the resp. XK 140 and 150 SPCs.

Bob K.