XK 120 Lever Pivot for adjusting seats: early versus later

I fully comprehend that the pivot screws were found painted on later cars, however I cannot see how this was technically done. It’s just not logical.
Since we agree that the 3 parts of the frames were painted separately (bottom, left & right), someone would have to bother and also paint these screws separately. Than drop them in a box somewhere for storage and fix the mlater. Inevetibly, some would be scratched and not look good.

It would have been easier (and cheaper) to have them cad or chrome plated.

Tadek

PS. Roger, could you possibly share the other washer dimensions you have (perhaps in another topic)? I think some were also used on e-types.

Usual cautions Tadek - this is just my private ‘work in progress’, and is not guaranteed 100% correct…

BD.541/1 3/8"Ф - 7/8"OD x 15 S.W.G (.073" thick) Steel
BD.541/2 13/32"Ф - 1¼"OD x 10 S.W.G (.128" thick) Steel
BD.541/3 1/4"Ф - 7/8"OD x 16 S.W.G (1/16" thick) Brass
BD.541/5 5/16"Ф - 1-1/8"OD x 17 S.W.G (.056" thick) Steel
BD.541/7 3/8"Ф - ?“OD x ?? S.W.G (.??” thick) Brass
BD.541/8 11/32"Ф - 1-1/2"OD x 14 S.W.G (.080" thick) Steel
BD.541/9 1/4"Ф - 11/16"OD x 17 S.W.G (.058" thick) Steel
BD.541/? 7/16"Ф - 1"OD x 10 S.W.G (1/8" thick) Steel
BD.541/10 17/32"Ф - 1-1/8"OD x 18 S.W.G. (.048" thick) Steel
BD.541/13 5/16"Ф - 1"OD x 16 SWG (.064") Steel
BD.541/14 7/16"Ф - 1-1/8"OD x 10 S.W.G (1/8" thick) Steel

Roger,

Just a side question. Did you perhaps mean the “diameter” symbol Ø for your symbol Ф ?
I think the diagonal line is more generally used to indicate the diameter (at least in Europe).

If this is what you were looking for: see this link Ø - Wikipedia

• The diameter symbol () (Unicode character U+2300) is similar to the lowercase letter ø, and in some typefaces it even uses the same glyph, although in many others the glyphs are subtly distinguishable (normally, the diameter symbol uses an exact circle and the letter o is somewhat stylized). The diameter symbol is used extensively in engineering drawings, and it is also seen in situations where abbreviating “diameter” is useful, such as on camera lenses. For example, a lens with a diameter of 82 millimeters would be engraved with " ⌀ 82 mm ".

I use the above symbol which you can find in Microsoft Word under Latin 1, but I don’t know how that is in other countries with different keyboard versions.

Bob K.

Many thanks Roger - I will check if I can be of any help - I need to check if any of the missing ones are on the S1 e-type.

Bob, I think Roger is indicating the screw/bolt diameter used for the washer not the actual Ø of the washer.
I could bet some $$$ this is compliant with engineering guidelines… :slight_smile:

Tadek

PS. BTW, Ø in Danish is an island.

I also interpreted Roger’s internal “phi symbol” diameter as indicating a nominal size slightly over the intended bolt diameter, as this is a standard practice in engineering.
I have used the “slanted slash zero” diameter symbol many times on engineering drawings. It is automatically generated in drafting programs when dimensioning a circle.
But I don’t know how to find either the Greek letter phi nor the slanted diameter symbol on my desktop keyboard.

Rob and Tadek,

Assume you’re correct and my assumption may have been incorrect.

Rob,
There are hundreds of additional “symbols” within e.g. Microsoft Word.
If you open Word, choose at the top “Insert”. Then at the far right end choose “Symbol”.
You may now open “More Symbols” and you will find a lot of new letters, figures and symbols.
The program will remember the ones you’ve used and store them, meaning the next time you open Insert + Symbols, you will see the ones you’ve used most.
And you can now finally write letters to your friends in Greek, Arab or any language you need…

Bob K.

Bob,

You are correct, and note in previous comment I said I use Ф symbol as the NOMINAL DIAMETER which is exactly as per Tadek’s comment …“Bob, I think Roger is indicating the screw/bolt diameter used for the washer not the actual Ø of the washer.” Having said that, yes I am well aware that using Ф symbol is second-best, indeed not correct, thus my “Caution - work in progress” in my posting this detail - should have sent it to Tadek privately :smiling_face_with_tear:… but as per Rob, my keyboard/skills were lacking, and I could not find my preferred/correct Ø symbol, albeit easy now here to copy/paste from your efforts on this thread…

But there is a need for further clarification - with a STANDARD Washer, as fully detailed in the British Standards, in this case, the best/most relevant 1951 edition (there are several different editions over the years, and each issue can have minimal or major variations from previous issue. Hasn’t been easy getting originals or full copies of ALL of the different issues)…

BS 1083: 1951 PRECISION HEXAGON BOLTS, SCREWS, NUTS (B.S.W. AND B.S.F. THREADS) AND PLAIN WASHERS…
But for a STANDARD washer they quote a nominal diameter, being the actual diameter of the bolt for which the washer suits, but the Standard also shows the actual diameter of the internal hole which is of course a suitable larger tolerance diameter than the washers nominal ‘bolt’ diameter.

The flaw in my table of non-standard washers is my nominal bolt diameters are my BEST GUESS at most likely bolt diameter, but are based on an actual or approximate measurement of the washers internal diameter, given its not easy to accurately measure an internal diameter to .001" accuracy, so I usually measure to an imperial fraction measurement, to the nearest 1/16in, which is good enough to presume what the engineering drawing probably quoted as a BS ‘nominal bolt diameter’. So a bit of a judgement call when I go to 1/32" nominal diameter accuracy such as this BD.541/10 at 17/32"Ø (so fixed the Ф ), as my guess is its probably in reality more likely 1/2"Ø with a bit more clearance.

While we are way off original topic, for those into this type of detail, see attached…this is the table in BS1083-1951 (issue) giving dimensions of all the British Standard Compliant STANDARD PLAIN WASHERS. Any plain washer that does not conform with this table, is thus by definition NON-STANDARD…

As previously, from about 1941/2, the British Ministry of Supply, who controlled all manufacturing/supply during WW2 introduced a requirement that all fasteners that were STANDARD should best be identified by a standard DECODEABLE Part Number system, albeit some room for manufacturers slight variations… in Jaguars case, a common standard plain washer used is…
Jaguar Part Number FW.106/T .
This decodes as: FW = BSF Washer (no, not Flat Washer), but is equally applicable to all imperial size flat washers, so still works for ANF/UNF/ANC/UNC/BSW washers, but not BA that use AW code…)
.1xx : 1 = standard plain washer
.x06 : 06 = size in 1/8" this 6 x 1/8" = 3/8" nominal bolt diameter
/T : T = steel (note, simple basic steel, not anything graded as per D, E, R etc symbols)

Now refer to the table for BS.1083 : 1951

This will tell you that a 3/8" Plain Washer - has a hole diameter of .395 to .390". An outside diameter of 3/4" (note quoted to a fraction size, not decimal), and a Thickness (Approximate) of 15 S.W.G (0.072")

Note, all the quoted (work in progress) BD.541/x non-standard washers don’t comply with the BS1083 : 1951 table…
And one for the anoraks, a later revision of BS.1083 (I think 1965 update ??) modifies the table, reducing the thickness of the washer from what was provided in 1951 (and all the postwar, 1950s period), so you can no longer buy original 1951 thickness standard washers - I have a huge collection of 1950s/60s fasteners I have accumulated over the years, so make sure all those I use are period correct/authentic. With washers not a great problem, but on applications such as bolts with split pins, its best to use correct thickness washers of using original split-pin drilled bolts, and slotted nuts… (eg Prop Shaft/Universal Joint bolts)

All clear now Roger!

Thanks, BØb :wink:

Here’s Feb 1952 chassis 679265 driver’s (LHD) seat frame.

Hi Roger,

Do you know that the BD541/xx goes up to at least 44 (last ones I found were on xj6)?

Anyway,
BD541/4 - I cannot find it anywhere, must be on MkV or earlier.
BD541/6 - e-type S1 3.8: Special Washer, under Shakeproof Washers to fix the bracket assembly, on bonnet side panel, engaging hook

BD541/11 - XK120: Washer, Plain, under Wing Nuts, adjusting racing screens

BD541/12 - XK 150 OTS: Washer, Special, on Pivot Screws, securing hoodsticks assembly to brackets on wheel arches

Next one I have found is BD541/17, brass on Mk X.

Are you interested in more locations of BD541/17 onwards?

Tadek

Thanks for your picture of # 679265. It clearly fits in the list I made (see below).
I assume your Pivot Screw was still chromed?

Bob K.

There was no chrome but from your excellent table I can only assume that it had been replaced by a PO.

Thanks Tadek, My listing of non-standard fasteners - not just washers, but everything else, is very much based on my personal restoration efforts of my XK140, and indeed all the detailed contribution I put into XK140 EXPLORED book - note there is a lot of detail on fasteners within that book that had/has never been seen elsewhere. So invariably extended back to the 1940s/WW2 commencement of the new Cxxx and BDxxxx Jaguar Part Number system and the decodeable Ministry of Supply system, as I now regularly mention. But no real effort to extend this listing into the 1960s, apart from maybe an occasional reference if/when I see it…
BD541/4 - I don’t list either, just assume it exists, so maybe after drawing it up, Jaguar never actually used these… impossible to prove something doesn’t exist, but I think its now getting most unlikely.
BD541/6 - good pick up, hadn’t looked at E-type, but presumably a /6 already existed elsewhere in the 1950s, although maybe as per /4, not yet used. Do you have dimensions - its used with a C.725 Shakeproof Washer, so safe to say BD541/6 is at least 1/4"Ø
BD541/11 - missed that one, and no clues as to sizes.
BD541/12 - ???, I wasnt thorough beyond XK140, but as per /4 and /6 above, surely previously used, but again no clues as to sizes…

BD541/17 and onwards - not a priority, rather put any further effort into my main areas of interest - 1940s/50s - so work more on the BD542/x series of Special Oval Washers…

BD.542/1 Special Oval: 9/32"Ø - (1-5/8" x 1") x 3/32" thick (Nominally 1/4"UNF)
BD.542/2 Special Oval: 11/32"Ø - (1-5/8" x 1") x 3/32" thick (Nominally 5/16"UNF)
BD.542/3 Special Oval: 9/32"Ø - (1½" x ¾") x 16 S.W.G. (1/16") thick (Nominally 1/4"UNF)