XK 120 mechanic in southern California area

This engine is equipped with 3 SU carbs, I understand that the standard was just 2?

Yes…2, 1.75" H-6 carbs.

Its not unusual to find modifications on these. If you post some pictures and let us know the serial numbers on the ID plate and on the head in front of the front spark plug and on the block adjacent to the oil filter, we can tell you what you have.

Engine # W 3856-8

Well, this number is consistent with an XK120 with 8:1 compression ratio pistons, built in late '51 to early '52. Mine built Nov '51 is W 3962-8 but they did not always install engines in consecutive order, they were somewhat random within a range of say 200 numbers in any one month.

The top hose elbow is standard XK120, the carbs also appear to be standard 120, and I see a 120 starting carb at the rear.
But the intake manifold stumps me. It may be a custom job. Maybe someone else will recognize it.

Thanks for the feedback Rob, I have not had a chance to go through the boxes of extra parts to see if there is a standard 2 carb intake manifold. Hopefully next week sometime. In the meantime will the fuel pump keep up with the carbs. I dont really know too much about this car as I purchased it from the owners son. The owner had to go into a long term care facility, he owned the car in southern California for 60 years.

Steve’s Jaguar Service 818-703-8321, Canoga Park CA, not too far from the OC,Steve rebuilt the engine on my car, I am doing a clean up and preservation of a car that was truly parked 35 years, in a shed. The engine needed to be rebuilt and Steve did great work on my XK 140, I highly recommend him.

Thank you for the reference it is much appreciated!

Any suggestions for wire wheel work in the OC?

If it’s for Daytons, I sent mine back to them directly. Got them back in a week, good as new.
I’ve also used Borrani Wire Wheel in Venice, but not sure if he’s still there.

Thank you Mr Serber, when removing the knock off I assume tightening is clockwise and counterclockwise for loosening?

Depends on which side: it states such on the knockoffs. Use a lead hammer.

Thanks, just saw the direction on the knock off

Even better, buy one of those laminated knock-off tools from Moss or TRF and use a dead-blow hammer. You’ll never mar the knock-off that way.

Of course one wheel refused the hammer so I made my own giant wrench! Works like a champ.

Well as they say, “Necessity is the mother of all invention.”
Nice.