XK 140 engine, when was Intermediate chain damper introduced?

Hello Folks,
I am rebuilding an XK140 engine of mid '56 vintage. I am pretty sure that it didn’t have part number C13615 (intermediate chain damper) installed when I took it apart. But I wasn’t the first one to be inside this engine. My parts manual shows it in the diagram and in the parts list. Was there a time in the production when this damper wasn’t used? I have searched the service bulletins that are available on the Jag Lovers site and it is a little vague on this issue. Hope this question is clear. Let me know if not and I will try again.

Many thanks

Wes Keyes
York, Maine

Hello again,
I did a little digging and looked up the parts list for a Mark II 3.4 liter and it looks like there was a time when they didn’t use C13615 intermediate chain damper either. Any leads ae appreciated.

Wes Keyes
York, Maine

C13615 is not in my 140 book but is in my 150 book.
It was added to 3.4 Mark 1 beginning with engine KE4954 which would put it in mid '57.
Also Mark VIII from engine N9628 which is also mid '57.
It is not listed at all in 2.4 Mark 1 so maybe was not needed with the shorter block?
Do you have the spring type or the hydraulic type lower chain tensioner?

Hi Bob,
Awesome that you found out what dates it was introduced in the Mark I and Mark VII! Now i feel better that in "56 it probably wasn’t on the 140. Mine is the hydraulic tensioner type.

Many thanks.

Wes Keyes
York, Maine